iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle mill ear protection

Started by bandmiller2, January 08, 2009, 02:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Having spent many years running submarines into shipyards, talk about EVRY noisy environments; I have learned the hard way.  Loud noise will kill/damage your hearing.  Right now I have ringing in both ear at 3 different frequencies – now you know why my wife knows that I'm nuts.

I have made this statement before and I will make it again.  If you can safely do it, wear double hearing protection, plugs and over the ear muffs.  When running the LT 15, I wear both on the side that the motor is located and the best plugs I can fond on the other side.  Oh,  DON'T use cheap equipment when it comes to your hearing.  Get the best plugs and/or muffs that you can – and take care of them.  Look for the NRR rating on them and get the higher number.

Bruce

Frickman

I wear my Stihl brand Peltor helmet system in the mill. It provides me ear protection and some face protection when I pull the face shield down.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Lud

Our Safety Engineer at the Plants, Christine, explained to me that the midrange frequencies that we lose the most is the same frequency that women's  voices are in.  An irony , huh ?   :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Meadows Miller

Gday

Now aint that one Dang fine Excuse we can all Get Away with Now  ;) :D :D ;D 8) 8) I was never good at listening to my exs anyhow  ;) :D ;D Now with safty in mind is whats going to happen now is that blokes will be taking their ear protection out  when the missus is about the mill  ;) :D :D Ahh now i see why it seems like the older blokes i know dont seem to have any dramas with their wifes They cant hear em  ;) :D :D :D :D :D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

york

Quote from: Lud on January 14, 2009, 11:03:13 PM
Our Safety Engineer at the Plants, Christine, explained to me that the midrange frequencies that we lose the most is the same frequency that women's  voices are in.  An irony , huh ?   :)

Did you guys know that the Japanese,have invented a camera,with a shutter speed,that is so fast-you can photograph a woman and catch her with her mouth shut..

Bert

Albert

bandmiller2

Save your hearing ware ear muffs in the house,sure, that will go over like a cigar butt in the punch bowl.Sometimes I don't hear what she says ,think its called selective hearing.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

backwoods sawyer

Hearing protection is required when she is sawing logs.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ladylake

Quote from: york on January 15, 2009, 06:01:00 AM
Quote from: Lud on January 14, 2009, 11:03:13 PM

Did you guys know that the Japanese,have invented a camera,with a shutter speed,that is so fast-you can photograph a woman and catch her with her mouth shut..

I thought a camera that fast was still 10 to 20 years away.   Steve
Bert

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Meadows Miller

Gday

I thought that too mate  ;) :D  :D :D But it still does nothing to aleviate the noise problem  ;) :D :D :D :D or like Frank said wear them all the time  ;) :D :D ;D

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

D Martin

Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regrettably I've played fairly loud RR for years without hearing protection mostly because I can't hear certain notes with ear plugs in.
I have been in rock bands since my teens too and could never get used to wearing plugs. Now we play with a drummer with an electronic drum kit that goes thru the P.A and we turn him down, now the guitarists and bass can turn down not having to compete with an acoustic drummer. This works well.  While sawing I dont usually wear plugs either although after a while of it I usuallay wish I had. When I use a chainsaw   Always.

sparky

I usually wear a hardhat with hearing protection and a nylon facescreen. I use a set of 24 dB muffs. When I am sawing at an antique tractor show, I am working with steam power about 1/2 the time. It sure beats the roar of a big diesel, or gas, tractor. All you get is a hiss, hiss, hiss. The blade is making much more noise than the power source.

Sparky in MN
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Thank You Sponsors!