iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone have a 257xp Husky?

Started by hillbilly, October 17, 2004, 03:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbilly

I've recently found a257xp Husky for sale , never used or been around that size before I was curious if any one had one and what size stihl it would compare to. I had a 55 rancher to cut wood with awhile back, I thought for it's size that it was a heck of a saw .

hillbilly

PowerNewbie

Did you mean 357XP? I don't see 257 in my Husky catalog. In fact I don't see any model numbers starting with 2.

It looks like the 357XP is only slightly larger and heavier than the Rancher, but the XP versions are supposed to be hotrods.

ccicora

The 257 is the early version of the 357. Its a good saw and should run with the 55 you had. Although, the 357 is way ahead in performance. This is in part to the transferes and crank designs.
Oh I have a 357 I just bought but I seem to have miss placed it. Now if the wife just goes along with it I can get another one also.....

Later,
Chris
I race a bit, just enough to keep me in debt

gmmills

hillbilly,

I've had a 257 for many years. I really like it. Can't tell you what year it was bought, most likely mid 90's. Here are the specs straight form the manual, displacement 3.4 cu.in or 57 cc, max speed no load 13500 rpm. These numbers should help in comparison with a stihl. My 257 isn't an xp just a 257.

Gary
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

muledriver

I have a 257xp. The best saw i ever had. Power to weight ratio was very good. Wish i could find another one mine is worn out.

arty460

i ran a 257 and a 55 ..257 blows it away,,, way better saw and you will be smiling when you run it.

jokers

QuoteThe 257 is the early version of the 357. Its a good saw and should run with the 55 you had. Although, the 357 is way ahead in performance. This is in part to the transferes and crank designs.
Oh I have a 357 I just bought but I seem to have miss placed it. Now if the wife just goes along with it I can get another one also.....

Later,
Chris

Actually Chris, I think that you will find that the 254 and 357 are more similar to each other and the 359 is more like a current revision of the 257. All excellent saws. BTW, as a few others have posted, the 257 gets it hands down against the 55.

Russ

ccicora

Russ,
I just ment for most users a 55 is as good as a 257. If you were to race the saws with the same set ups the 257 better win. But that difference is not huge but does exsist. Also, if you would like to see some fast 55's out run 257's show up to the Hartford Fair in PA.  For you just hop on 81 south and get off at the Hartford exit. But I half to admit set up is everything in that race class.

Later,
Chris

jokers

Hi Chris,

I know that you know that,LOL, just wanted to offer some clarification for the others.

When is the Hartford Fair?

Thanks, Russ

ccicora

Russ,
Right before Booneville or just after. Its always on a friday. So what are some of the local shows up your way? You know me always looking at new places to go.

Later,
Chris

Thank You Sponsors!