iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Photos of old timberjack just purchased.

Started by sandersen, February 12, 2014, 01:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

Think I finally have some photos the old timberjack I just purchased.

Post edits by admin to fix broken picture links
"Make every step count."

logman81

Not to bad , got three good tires. Looks to be early to mid seventies machine.
Precision Firewood & Logging

rockwall

Oh, she's beautiful, wait till you hear her PURRRRRRRR! Good job getting the photos up!

Dave Shepard

Nice! What model? Looks pretty straight, except the limb risers. Good tires are always a nice bonus. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mad murdock

Nice!! Looks like 3 of the 4 tires arĂ© 60% or better.  Not being a "jack' expert it looks a lot like a 208 or similar vintage.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

coxy

Quote from: sandersen on February 12, 2014, 01:35:39 PM
Think I finally have some photos the old timberjack I just purchased.

I want to see them to :'( :'( but is all I got is xs  down the post help me please  :'( :'( :D

Ianab

QuoteI want to see them to :'( :'( but is all I got is xs  down the post help me please  :'( :'( :D

Fixed broken picture links. Maybe they had been uploaded a 2nd time and ended up renamed?  But the picture names in the links where not correct, but I've fixed it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

David-L

Looks good, git yer done baby. keep us posted. early seventies 230.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

FFLM

Concur with David L its got Rockwell axels, not the small ones on a 208.
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

sandersen

Finally got her home...she started right up (45 above for a change)and ran great down the road...no white smoke.  Pins are sloppy but brakes work ok and micro lock holds.  Under the seat the riveted plate reads....666842 (1966?) 230 C Woodstock Ontario.  Oil is filthy but after idling for an hour in one spot, just a very few oil drops in the snow.  Hydraulic leaking a bit though.  The two skid plates are missing underneath, the oil pan is smashed in, the winch pulls out tough.  Interesting note:  at 6-2 and 210 lbs. I feel like the pedals and throttle are set high like it was designed for a shorter guy.  Never had that problem before on my 225...I may have to try to redesign the pedals if possible.  The pedals read...Timberland Ellicot with the donkey real clear on both...so maybe that's a sign overall use has been light...as it was supposed to be.  Anyway, good to have the girl here and really appreciate all the input.  I think for 5500 it was okay, and has potential.
"Make every step count."

bushmechanic

Nice old machine I would peg it around late 60's or very early 70's by the cab style. I recently re-built a 353 for a buddie with that style of cab and the engine was 1969. Do it have a detroit in it?

sandersen

Yes it has a 453 detroit...supposedly the 230's all had 353's but maybe in 1966 they threw in a 453.  I'm told there wasn't an engine swap but who knows really.
"Make every step count."

David-L

Wondering how wide it is. looks wider than normal. what size tire?

David l

David-L

Like that Ford F-150 or is it a 100.

David l

coxy

nice       thanks for the pic fix         ill give ta 5650 for it :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) good luck with it keep use posted on the fix up

Maine logger88

Nice machine! Looks fairly straight I don't think you got hurt any I have seen 230's around here that looked real rough go for 9000 and with a lot worse rubber
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Neilo

Quote from: sandersen on February 12, 2014, 07:56:12 PM
Yes it has a 453 detroit...supposedly the 230's all had 353's but maybe in 1966 they threw in a 453.  I'm told there wasn't an engine swap but who knows really.

Serial numbers don't relate to year. As others have said, it looks like an early 70's D series. All 230s had 3-53s.

Neilo

sandersen

It is confusing...but 230C is stamped on the plate.  ??
"Make every step count."

sandersen

Is it possible that both rear ends have been replaced with others that are slightly wider because the tires look like they stick out further than usual giving the skidder a wider stance...I guess anythings possible but couldnt see why someone would do that. 
"Make every step count."

Neilo

The rims are not original as far as I can tell. Probably makes it wider.

sandersen

After a close up look...I think the rear ends have been replaced...there's a bit of old yellow paint left on the housings and the rims are yellow which does not jive with timberjack orange.  And the serial number plate says 230C, so that may mean that even the motor has been replaced with a 453, since 230's all cane with 353's.  That's a bit disappointing I guess, knowing that it's a hybrid, but what the heck. 
"Make every step count."

mad murdock

a little more HP never hurts, as long as it is not misapplied.  More HP used the wrong way will speed up the trip to breakdowns ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

rockwall

I would say you got a wicked deal! It probably has had some changes over the years but it doesn't look all beat up. Just think how lucky you are to get it started that quickly and the motor appears to be in fine working order(that's huge!). Looks like you got a good one.

sandersen

Thanks a lot I appreciate your help and encouragement.  I just told me wife...since it's our 37th year together that not many gals are so lucky get a old tj skidder for their anniversary!
"Make every step count."

Thank You Sponsors!