iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to find a softwood lumber grader in Southern Ontario

Started by dbnair, May 31, 2010, 09:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbnair

Hello,
I bought my woodmizer last year to mill the lumber for my wife's horse arena. This spring I bought 30,000' board feet worth of old growth eastern white pine logs from a friend.

My engineer is recommending I get the lumber graded and then he can save a fair bit of wood in the building design.

I am having a hard time finding a softwood lumber grader in Southern Ontario.

Would anyone know where I should look? I have tried Woodmizer in Manilla, and the Ontario lumberman's Association and Ontario woodlot to no avail.

Any advice or leads would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Grant

r.man

Db, where in southern Ontario are you. I am just below Algonquin park and I know two people with their stamp. I would suggest you start asking at other saw locations. You could also consider getting your own for your mill. I think that that is why the two I know have it. One runs a small circular hobby mill and the other used to. There was a thread this past winter that talked about small operators in one of the provinces, and I think it was Ontario,  being able to certify fairly easily for lumber produced on their own mills. I believe that it also had to have a specific physical location so a mobile operator could only produce graded lumber at their home location. Hope this helps and good luck.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

SwampDonkey

r. man, that was in New Brunswick. The article was from Atlantic Forestry Review.

Portable Mill Owners can get grade stamps to

For Ontario:

Ontario Forest Industries Association
(Home of CLA Grading & Inspection)
20 Toronto Street, Suite 950
Toronto, ON  M5C 2B8
Tel: (416) 368-6188 Fax: (416) 368-5445
Email: info@ofia.com
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!