iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wiz 066

Started by twoodward15, April 08, 2005, 12:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoodward15

Anybody know how an old homolite wiz 66 (with the gear reduction of some kind I think) would do with a sawmill attachment?  I'm thinking about using one of those alaskan mills if this saw will be enough.  I guess my main concern is chain speed.  It doesn't spin real fast but has all kinds of power.  The saw isn't mine yet.  I have a close friend that would give it to me if I wanted it.  he has never used it.  I've used it a few times.  Someone gave it to him and he just tore it down and got it cleaned up and running.  It has a 30 inch bar, but that should be plenty for anything I'll ever cut. 
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Kevin

77cc is pretty decent for moderate size stuff.
You'll lose 4" in bar length with the Alaskan.

twoodward15

I'd probably only be cutting up to about 16 inches anyway.  I guess my main concern was more about the chain speed than anything.  He and I were testing it in a tree that I cut down and I buried the entire bar in a red oak and pushed about as hard as I would ever want to and it didn't bog down a bit.  Chain turns slow but has ungodly power it seemed.

Kevin

What sprocket is on the drive side?
I'm pretty sure there were  three gear options available for that saw.

StihlDoc

Yes it will work, but it will be like using a tractor as your primary means of transportation. It will get you to your destination but it will be heavy, slow and will waste a lot of fuel. If you want something just to play with, it will suffice. If you want to put it to some serious hobby use, suggest you get get a modern saw.

twoodward15

Thanks stihl doc.  That's what I was wondering.  I think I'll move on and wait for a more modern saw to find its' way to me!

DonE911

I have to agree.... I've been doing alot of milling, and I have a Wiz ( needs repair now ), but would not use it milling unless it was a huge tree with a very long bar.  The grunt would probably compensate for the slow speed in that case.  I use a pair of 066's for milling and often wish for more speed, which seems directly related to the rpm's though the wood.   I have a logosol sawmill, so I am not down on the ground with the log and don't have to push the saw through the log either, but if I was I'd think the wiz's weight would but a huge negative also. 

Thank You Sponsors!