iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice please.....

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 23, 2011, 11:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Today I have to tighten the drive belt on my G 28 for the first time.

I have read the manuel and it seems pretty simple.

However, the manuel says: BELT TENSION.... 7/16" deflection with 14 pounds of deflection force.

I don't have a tool to measure this.

Any advice?

Thanks, David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sgschwend

How about approximating the force by picking up an item that is near the weight you need then using that feeling in you arm to translate to the force you deliver.   I wouldn't think you would need to be that exact.  (2 gallons of water in a plastic container would be 16 pounds)
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Larry

Got any fishing buddies...they all have De-Liar scales.  My scale says I catch 14 pound bass most every trip.  I may have broke the spring some 20 years ago but it doesn't the accuracy...much. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I may try your idea sgschwend. Now my saw will have a set of jugs!  :D

Sounds like it might get me close.

Thanks
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

If you can put that 2 gallons of water in plastic jugs with a small rope holding on to them and tie the other end on the belt in the middle of the span between your pulleys you should be able to measure the deflection with a strait edge and tape measure. 
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brucer

Or you could buy an inexpensive belt tension gauge ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Chuck White

Wood-Mizer carries a small instrument for measuring the tension in belts.

I plan on getting one the next time I go down to WM.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

John Deere used to sell them. Mine was made by the Gates Rubber Company -- and looks exactly like the JD model except for the label.

They are all pretty much the same. A spring loaded plunger with an inch scale on the bottom and a marker (e.g. an O-Ring) to mark the deflection you want. The top part of the plunger pushes another marker (another O-Ring) along a pressure scale.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!