Started by timh, February 18, 2014, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timh

Need a little advice on project I started using white oak
Plan call for using Vermeer plywood on some panel
Will plywood they sell at Home Depot match with
White oak boards thanks Tim

SLawyer Dave

In my experience, generally no.  Home Depot generally does not have oak veneer plywood, (at least in my neck of the woods).  You are likely to have to go to either a lumber yard where they keep hardwood plywood, (hardwood top veneer), and see if they have anything on hand that will match, or special order it.  "Oak" veneer is not rare, but a lot will depend on how you plan on finishing it.  If you are going to stain it, then you will want to do some test sections that will either be hidden or on scraps to see how the stained plywood compares to the stained hardwood.  Sometimes one or the other will absorb a lot more stain, and create a different tint.  In that situation, you may have to play around with some different stains and mixes trying to come up with something that matches up they way you want it.   

Your other option is to use oak planking and "join" them into the width and length you need for the "panels".  This can also allow you to do inserts of different woods, shapes, patters, to really make your project show its craftsmanship.  It is a lot more work, but the finished product will truly be a work of art.  (I generally just use plywood, but sometimes I dream about having the patience and time to do it the "right" way.   :)

timh

Thank you I know there master woodworkers
Here great advice

21incher

The oak plywood they have at HD around me is all red oak. If the panels are not very large you may be able to find some iron on white oak veneer online and just put it on sanded plywood but you would have to get real lucky to get a good match. Most likely you would be better off modifying the plan to allow for movement and use solid panels as already has been recommended.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jamesamd

Check This place.
READ the 15 things,to to avoid,to get what You need!!!
http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/index.html

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

5quarter

White oak repels stain. Red oak stains nicely. If you mix the two in a stained project, you are asking for trouble. HD does not carry white oak plywood. If you do end up using plywood, you will want Furniture grade plywood and it is not cheap. you may be better off gluing up solid wood panels as others have said,both for cost reasons and consistent appearance. What exactly is your project?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!