iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Onan 24 Muffler needed

Started by Stephen1, September 10, 2018, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

One muffler died on my 1993 Onan, rusted out. I only have 1700 hrs and it runs pretty good, I am going to clamp some tin around it and hope it lasts for a while.
They do not make the single muffler anymore, and i'm not sure I can even find anything else.
It actually was a Super Trap muffler. I found a link here to for their website, but they do not make them any more. 
The pipe are 1'1/4 OD.
Any ideas are appreciated 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Chuck White

You could do this!

It's an easy fix!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

Thats exactly what I need Chuck,  Where did you find those mufflers?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Chuck White

Lawn mower shop!

I don't recall the price, but they weren't priced very high!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stephen1

Hi guys, Thanks Chuck thats the direction i'm going. I've had the mill for 6 years now with 1000 hrs on it since i bought it. 
The mill is in the shop his morning to re+re the muffler, also the govenor and carb are getting some work done on it.
I find it sometimes better to let a good pro work on things.

Chuck White

We cut the pipes off just at the top of the straight part, then welded a galvanized pipe coupling on the top of it, and then just screwed the smaller "stack type" mufflers into the couplings!

VictorH

I did something similar to Chuck only I cut mine off just where they entered the original muffler.  I then bought 2 small ones advertised for 12-15hp engines.  installed them sideways so rain water would not go in.  Thought I had a pic but can't find it.

Chuck White

You can see in my pic, I ran them vertical and put "stack flippers" on top of each!

maple flats

I've seen it done with a generic tractor muffler. Just cut the pipe off just before the old muffler and then use a tractor muffler with the right diameter pipe. Try any of the tractor type retailers, such as TSC, Runnings or any of several others. They all carry in stock mufflers to fit older farm tractors and far less cost than if Onan still offered the original.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Stephen1

I put 2 new single mufflers on and cleaned the carb. 
She runs like brand new now 8)I will get pictures tomorrow when I go to the yard

Thank You Sponsors!