iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More WV catfish - update with more pix

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 16, 2015, 10:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

My son's church had a fish fry a couple weeks ago and he asked for some catfish so I dug out plenty but decided to replenish my larder plus I have a fish fry scheduled for here next week so I put out some more lines. Yesterday was poor with lake rising and falling and high wind. One little channel cat that was just right for lunch for me and my wife. I baited up very late yesterday (did not get back to the dock till well after dark). Did have 4 more fish from 1.5-3 lbs on the line that had bit during the day.

This morning was better with 5 fish on my lines that weighed 18, 15, 8, 5 and 3 lbs. I just ran the lines this morning but baited again tonight and my 9 y/o granddaughter will go help me tomorrow after her morning youth deer hunt. Hopefully we will do well at both endeavors.

Initial gross weight of fish.

Two biggest fish - 18 & 15 lbs.

All 5 fish in a contractor style wheelbarrow (and I push my wheelbarrow - if they were to be pulled they come with longer handles).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Very nice catch.  What do you use for bait?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Live bream (bluegills and green sunfish - sort of like goggle-eyes we had back in Fla).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Good, that explains the large fish.  Can you seine them or do they have to be caught?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Nice catch!  And yes I know I'll never live down the wheel barrow pulling thingy, at least not until it runs over me  :).

WV Sawmiller

MM,

No seining or trapping allowed for game fish even though we are allowed to use them for bait. Fortunately this year they have been easy to catch. I use a 10' fiberglass crappie pole with a #10 cricket hook (long shank makes it easier to unhook without killing them), a BB shot about 4"-5" above the hook and a small float set about 12-16 inches deep. Use about 1/2" piece of nightcrawler and pitch it by the cracks in the rocks. A 3" fish will hit so violently he'll nearly snatch the pole out of you hand. Catching bait is a great outing for the grandkids.

I grew up in Florida and we could not use any kind of live bait nor any part of a game fish and 25 hooks per person. WV is much more liberal. We just can't use wire/cable, multiple hooks or tie them to the docks, dam or buoys. No limit on the number of hooks. Have to be marked in all states but I just use a piece of flagging and a sharpie to meet that requirement.

I had one last year attack and was eating a 5 lb catfish that on my line. He is the one I am still looking to catch.
Howard Green

thecfarm

You better bring more than a wheelbarrow to bring home whatever was chewing on that 5 pounder!!!   :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Your bait catching sound about like ours.  Any gamefish used for bait has to be caught.  Shiners can be seined.

WV Sawmiller

Well, we had a good weekend. Oldest granddaughter came over and went on a youth antlerless hunt with her dad in the morning. They saw several deer but no clear shots so let them go.

Next she went with me to check my catfish lines. It was real windy and pretty rough conditions on the lake. On about our 5th hook we had the catfish below. Josie netted him but could not get him in the boat by herself so I had to help a little.

We had 6 more catfish. I think 4 channel catfish and a couple more smaller flatheads. We hurried home and I strung them up and put them in the creek to be cleaned later on.

I took Josie hunting for the afternoon but was so windy nothing came out. I cleaned the fish who were all still alive when I got home.

Weighed just under 27 lbs

Today we took up the lines and had 2 more smaller (1-8 lb flathead and a 4 lb channel cat). We saw 3 adult bald eagles at the head of and island and another one was circling the landing when we got in. We saw lots of blue herons wading in the shallow water fishing. It was cold but pleasant going out but the wind picked up and it got real ugly again on the way home.

All the fish are cleaned and I'm done fishing for the year (I think). I washed up the boat and will likely take it to the shop for winterizing next week. All total I guess we caught 120-130 lbs of catfish since Wednesday when I put out the lines until today when we took them up.
Howard Green

Ken

Can't get any better than that.  Enjoying outdoor activities with a grandchild.  I've never eaten catfish.  What is the meat like?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WV Sawmiller

Ken,

I don't know how best to describe the taste. They are best deep fried in corn meal in my opinion. I'd describe them as a fairly white fish with maybe a little stronger taste than cod or haddock.

They are a very hard fighting fish when caught on a rod and reel or pole. The channel and blue cats will bite cut bait as well as live bait. Dad used to only use Camay soap as bait because he would only catch catfish and no turtles or trash fish. The flatheads will only eat a live bait. We did not have or know of Flatheads in Fla when I was a kid but they are there now.

Hope you get a chance to try some good southern fried catfish soon. (They are good with grits too. I have a fish fry scheduled here Thursday and although not common in WV, the cheese grits are always a big hit.)
Howard Green

Raider Bill

Quote from: Ken on October 18, 2015, 08:46:05 PM
Can't get any better than that.  Enjoying outdoor activities with a grandchild.  I've never eaten catfish.  What is the meat like?

Delish!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

timberking

That is not just catfish, but the creme de la creme.  Love me some bellypans!!!

Thank You Sponsors!