iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

will it die?

Started by northernss454, July 05, 2009, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernss454

Hi not sure if this is the correct fourm to put this in,but will give it a shot.. I did some work on a future yard site we plan on buiding in the years to come.There was a nice maple I tried so hard to save,about 7" round,and living on praires I try to save all trees I can. I was working around the tree clearing ugly brush,and on my last pass,I put a big scrape on the bark with my skid steer tire.I would say 3" wide by 12" high,I scraped it right to the cambium.Will this tree survive and is there anything I can do to help it? Any advice would be great.Thanks in advance

sprucebunny

Around here the moose scrape off a bunch of bark from the red maples and they hardly notice.

I've taped the bark back onto trees a couple of times  :) ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

Prolly the tree won't die, but it will not grow where the cambium layer has been exposed. Might take some time to heal around and over that spot. Could end up with rotted wood underneath the healed-over area.

Won't do any good to slap the bark back over the wound either. And likely not help that much to apply paint of tar, as some people tend to want to do.

That would be my take on the unfortunate situation.

I'd wait and see how the tree handles it on its own, maybe with some extra watering and fertilizer to help it grow healthy as possible. But don't think it will die.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I have trees that I did that to with my tractor.  :(  Just like you.I don't mean too,but it happens. It should heal over and be fine for a yard tree. I have cut some of these type down.Very ugly around the wound inside. Don't have much too lose.If it does die,it will have to be cut down.But if it's a healthy tree it should do fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dodgy Loner

Same type of damage was done to a red maple at my dad's house.  It took about 4 years, but the wound is healed completely over now.  There is probably a little decay in there, but as long as the tree is healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

northernss454

Thanks for the info guys thats what I wanted to hear.
Take care

Thank You Sponsors!