iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Model 119 brake band

Started by ga jones, April 12, 2015, 08:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ga jones

So about a month ago I pick up a new set of brake bands from the local parts house. I go to put them in last week find the brake cylinder is leaking. 297.00 for a kit! I get the kit disassemble the cylinder find its scorn. Call for the whole cylinder 528.00. I order it. In the mean time I ask the parts guy if he has the brake fluid version in stock and how much. 185.00! So I ask to see it. It's the same exact cylinder minus a groove for a snap ring. The piston in the hydraulic version is different however it doesn't go bad only the seal does. Could've saved myself 200. And had the machine shop cut the groove in it for 20.i get the new cylinder and the rubber boot is torn. Had to repair with the old one. Then I install the brake band and I had to pry the inner band up to get the top pin in. I thought this doesn't seem right but I finished assembly anyway. Well it wouldn't free spool. Tear it back apart and put it next to the old one and the pin housing on the band is welded on slightly lower then the old one. Just enough to mess up the whole works!! Bad part. Who's build this stuff anymore it's garbage.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ehp

not sure how builds it but I priced 2 new bands for the winch in on my gearmatic and they want $1,000 for the pair , my winch just was not winching in like it should but the weather is getting warmer and I had 32 oil in machine , dumped it out this morning and put 68 oil in and winching alot better now

jocco

Jones don't know who your dealing with but I would find a better supply outfit. :o I have run in to different types of bands on the old 9's that caused similar issues :( Many of these parts are made in the "land of almost right" >:(

Quote from: ga jones on April 12, 2015, 08:12:45 PM
So about a month ago I pick up a new set of brake bands from the local parts house. I go to put them in last week find the brake cylinder is leaking. 297.00 for a kit! I get the kit disassemble the cylinder find its scorn. Call for the whole cylinder 528.00. I order it. In the mean time I ask the parts guy if he has the brake fluid version in stock and how much. 185.00! So I ask to see it. It's the same exact cylinder minus a groove for a snap ring. The piston in the hydraulic version is different however it doesn't go bad only the seal does. Could've saved myself 200. And had the machine shop cut the groove in it for 20.i get the new cylinder and the rubber boot is torn. Had to repair with the old one. Then I install the brake band and I had to pry the inner band up to get the top pin in. I thought this doesn't seem right but I finished assembly anyway. Well it wouldn't free spool. Tear it back apart and put it next to the old one and the pin housing on the band is welded on slightly lower then the old one. Just enough to mess up the whole works!! Bad part. Who's build this stuff anymore it's garbage.
You may check out but you will never leave

ga jones

Aftermarket parts inc. is where the they came from,said on the boxes.I don't know if their the ones making the stuff or just distributing it.now tomorrow I have to drive the hour drive again to show the parts guy and try to exchange the band he's not going to in stock and be another day for aftermarket to direct ship to me.😡
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

so il logger

Ah more gear... problematic trouble. It is never ending as long as your running it. Great when they work right, there is a place in oregon that re-lines bands and does it right I will try to get contact info tommorow

jocco

GET ME THAT PLACES INFO TOO I have herd of it but never dealt with it.

Quote from: so il logger on April 13, 2015, 01:46:45 AM
Ah more gear... problematic trouble. It is never ending as long as your running it. Great when they work right, there is a place in oregon that re-lines bands and does it right I will try to get contact info tommorow
You may check out but you will never leave

coxy

when getting bands I get them from pb&h never had any trouble  there are 2 sets of band out there some place that are for a cut down drum of 15thousands  the pin holes were cut off the bands and welded in a different spots my buddys dumb brother sent them back for cores  so be careful and bring the old bands with you to match them up they are 19-119 brake bands one other thing make shur they are not 40thousands over bands that will make  the pin harder to get in the hole and will not free spool

so il logger

Quote from: jocco on April 13, 2015, 06:53:54 AM
GET ME THAT PLACES INFO TOO I have herd of it but never dealt with it.

P.M. sent

coxy

this is here say    but was talking to a few older guys and they said that the bands may be for a cancar  one of the older guys said that the bands are a little thicker same with the clutch bands they are a little different and wont work with out doing some modifications  :)

ehp

hope the bands work, I just olrdered a set plus the rubber kits for my machine

ga jones

Got a replacement for the bad band today. They had it in stock. it's in and all good for now.

lumberjack48

I had to put a new brake band on my 119, this was 30 yrs ago. The new band would not release, its was hitting the drum up by the top big pin. I took it off, tried to bend it a little to get it to release, nothing worked. So i put it back on, released it, then where it wasn't hitting the drum i marked it. Took it off, then where i had marked it i sawed across with a hacksaw. Now i took a chisel and chiseled it off to where i'd hacksawed it. I took about 6 inchs of the brake material off the band. Put it back together, released the winch, the chokers fell on the ground. I never had a issue with it, so taking that much of the band off didn't make any difference. A two hour job took all day of trying to figure out what to do.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ehp

just got my stuff tonight , narrow band and both seal kits , $1309 is what it cost here

ga jones

$589.00 for the 2 bands.$ 528.00 for hydraulic style brake cylinder. Also changed the spring $7.00.the two levers were $36.00 and $46.00.

Maine logger88

ga is that 119 on your 380c?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ga jones

Yes. Its a short frame. The short frames didn't fit the 4000 Deere winch.

Maine logger88

O I didn't know that. I saw a couple 380c and they both had the 4000 but I didn't know they offered different frame lengths. I wonder what the difference between a long frame 380 and a 450 are

ga jones

higher hp pump setting. Dual arch grapple is all my book shows.

ga jones

I can't find any other differences until you get to the 480. I have always herd they had the bigger axles but according to the book the bigger axles are 24 lug on the 480 only standard. I'm sure there is something that's not in the book. I have a buddy with a 450 but I have never looked close at it.

Maine logger88

What's the hp of a 380c? I have seen pics of the 480s and 520s they look like big ole machines!

ga jones

152 hp 380.  174 hp 450. 177hp 480

ga jones

I know you were looking at a cat I wanted to mention that cat financial will finance any cat machine. good rates.

Maine logger88

Thanks I like to learn about different models! Yeah I wouldn't mind a cat but that one wasn't in good enough shape for the money it has over 17000 hrs on it and needs some work before it goes in the woods. I know where there's a 380C with a 4000 winch that looks to be in real good shape for 6000 less than the cat id like to go look at

so il logger

On the 450c there were different option's for axle's. Mine is a single arch with the big eaton rear end's, 30.5 32 tire's. My engine tag show's 177 hp stock but mine has been turned up a tad from that. A buddy has a 450c same year as mine with the small rear end's and smaller cradle, it is substantially smaller than mine. Wish mine was set up that way at time's, but all in all they are good skidder's. I would take the cummin's over any other powerplant

Thank You Sponsors!