iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prettiest Lumber???

Started by JWright, January 15, 2013, 01:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWright

Just want to hear some opinions. What tree has produced the prettiest lumber for some of you?

beenthere

Pretty?  What might that be, in lumber?

Part of Speech:  adjective 
Definition:  attractive 
Synonyms:  appealing, beauteous, beautiful, boss*, charming, cheerful, cher, comely, cute, dainty, darling, delicate, delightful, dishy, dreamboat, elegant, eyeful, fair, fine, foxy*, good-looking, graceful, handsome, looker, lovely, neat, nice, picture, pleasant, pleasing, pulchritudinous, tasteful 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The prettiest lumber to me is always the ugliest.
But if I had to pick 1, it was this old Red Oak that came out of the swamp. I'll never forget sawing it.....bugs and mice running out of the holes as I sawed it. So I made a bench.  :)

****Yep, I'm up at 3:45 am. Couldn't sleep. Emma barking at something in the back Yard.  :o ****

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dgdrls

The first piece of Hickory I ran on my new mill last summer.

DGDrls

red oaks lumber

nothing better than a  piece of ash ;D sorry i could help myself, some say i;m a smartash :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

1woodguy

I like lots of different wood ,have seen afew persimmon and myrtle that stick in my mind
  The kind of lumber that on sight forms an image of what to make from it
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 15, 2013, 03:46:22 AM
The prettiest lumber to me is always the ugliest.
But if I had to pick 1, it was this old Red Oak that came out of the swamp. I'll never forget sawing it.....bugs and mice running out of the holes has I sawed it. So I made a bench.  :)

****Yep, I'm up at 3:45 am. Couldn't sleep. Emma barking at something in the back Yard.  :o ****

Very cool :) :) :)

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

This catclaw acacia was pretty nice.

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Lud

The prettiest lumber is the wood I'm cutting at the moment.  The anticipation of flipping off the plank, sweeping the dust, and the reveal!  Oh,  the mystery!   8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Axe Handle Hound

I would say the prettiest lumber I've personally had cut was a very large, old white ash.  I had it cut in to 20"+ boards and every one of them had some incredible grain patterns.  I'd give a photo, but first I'd have to unstack a few thousand board feet of lumber that is currently sitting on top of them to keep them flat and I'm not feeling quite up to that.   ;)

Chuck White

I like the looks of Black Cherry.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Riggs

Just because I don't see it much, ERC, I love the color and character.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

blaze83

i enjoy cutting walnut, the way it starts out greenish and then turns chocolate  8)
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

rooster 58

Ah, that Red Oaks< He's a funny one ;D

dboyt

Any piece that causes a customer to take out his checkbook and ask "how much?" is a gem.  I agree that "ugly is pretty" and that character is what really makes for a great piece of wood.  I'm partial to salvaged pieces like this cherry that was left in the wood to rot.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Jim H

2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: dboyt on January 15, 2013, 08:59:15 AM
Any piece that causes a customer to take out his checkbook and ask "how much?" is a gem.  I agree that "ugly is pretty" and that character is what really makes for a great piece of wood.  I'm partial to salvaged pieces like this cherry that was left in the wood to rot.

Wowee Zowie, I really like that one.... smiley_clapping smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_thumbsup_grin smiley_thumbsup

Jeff

One of the prettiest things we  have here, was created from some wood that I sawed that was destined to be a pallet years ago. I noticed it long enough to take a couple photos, but member Brian Bailey saw way more in it than I did at first.  Here is a photo of what it ended up being, and a link to the topic about its creation.

She's got some fine figure!
Bragging on Brian.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jeff on January 15, 2013, 11:06:51 AM
One of the prettiest things we  have here, was created from some wood that I sawed that was destined to be a pallet years ago. I noticed it long enough to take a couple photos, but member Brian Bailey saw way more in it than I did at first.  Here is a photo of what it ended up being, and a link to the topic about its creation.

Bragging on Brian.

Neat :) :) :)

pineywoods

Prettiest to look at, I'd have to say chinaberry, but the stuff is almost useless to use for anything. Brittle, splits, stringy, the alternate layers are hard, then soft, making it difficult to get a decent finish. The logs are usually hollow or rotten in the center.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bogue Chitto

Magicman

This Sinker Cypress crotch has to be my all time favorite.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

The prettiest I've seen was probably rosewood burl knife handles, but I didn't saw it. The prettiest I've sawn would probably have to go to dogwood or curly white oak.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Magicman on January 15, 2013, 12:09:15 PM
This Sinker Cypress crotch has to be my all time favorite.

super nice smiley_blue_bounce

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: pineywoods on January 15, 2013, 11:44:21 AM
Prettiest to look at, I'd have to say chinaberry, but the stuff is almost useless to use for anything. Brittle, splits, stringy, the alternate layers are hard, then soft, making it difficult to get a decent finish. The logs are usually hollow or rotten in the center.

Superficially reminds me of older honey locust, but honey locust, though a little splitty, works up just fine. :)

Bogue Chitto

5quarter

beenthere...try telling any woman that she is pulchritudinous and see what happens... ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

dboyt

So far, the two cypress boards get my vote.  Never seen anything like either one of 'em!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have looked and looked at the pic of the clock Jeff posted. The clock Brian made.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I have seen character in wood that reminds me of different things.
The character spots on the door reminds me of a blown up x-ray of an artery going to a heart. The spots look like blood cells flowing.
Very unique.

Woodey

I like quarter sawed sycamore and white oak. ;D

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Magicman

Quote from: dboyt on January 15, 2013, 03:02:25 PM
So far, the two cypress boards get my vote. 

Actually that is two pictures of the same cut.  Each pass was completely different, but that one was by far the most dramatic.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

caveman

The boards in this table were given to my mother by a friend.  She got JMoore to build this table.  I believe the wood is from a live oak that came down during one of the three hurricanes we had in 2004.  He also made a clock and I built a small knife box out of some of the scraps.
Caveman

Caveman

mesquite buckeye

captain_crunch

Don't have any pics but Western Yew is neet if it dont have heart rot but It will not stay put bends and bows with weather
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Norm

I guess it depends but for me, as it's what we have locally, my favorite would be black cherry with q-sawn burr oak a close 2nd.

Magicman

Cherry can be very pretty.

And then there is always Sycamore.

Norm

That black cherry is beautiful Lynn!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rooster 58

Magicman that's an awesome stick 'o cherry there. I'm gonna have a hard time letting wood like that leaving my yard ;D I'm a wood junkie for sure, not sure how I got the bug but i've been addicted since I was a boy. Dad tried to keep me away from the axe when we were clearing land around the house. I was 8 yrs. old at the time. Whenever he wasn't lookin' I'd grab that axe. He finally got tired of yellin and let me go :laugh:

Magicman

I only custom saw, so that was a customer's log.

rooster 58

That is still beautiful stuff. I'm in the heart of black cherry country, but most of that is too perfect and doesn't display the character like that. I prefer the cherry from "farm country", which yields what i believe to be the most beautiful, rustic style cherry with the different hues and character

Dodgy Loner

My favorites have been crotch walnut and a big, burled, curly cherrylaurel. I took some pics of the cherrylaurel but never uploaded them :(  I expected some "excitement" when drying so I sawed it 5/4, but I should have sawed it to 6/4 ::). Saving it for a special project.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

Some crotch Walnut that I sawed for Dodgy Loner.

mesquite buckeye

Showoff.               smiley_bounce steve_smiley steve_smiley smiley_bounce smiley_airfreshener food2 smiley_deadheaders_buddy smiley_sick

Just kidding. I am green with envy......... 8) 8) 8) ;D

Super nice stuff...

How long have you been cutting such cool stuff?

Magicman

If that was directed at me.....Thank You.  I have just begun my 12th year of custom sawing.  Sadly, there are very few pictures from the first about 7-8 years of sawing.

hackberry jake

Sometimes what the sawyer sees and what the customer sees are completely different. This

Doesn't look very brightly colored anymore.

Here is some of that curly white oak, It looks much better in person.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Magicman on January 16, 2013, 12:01:20 PM
If that was directed at me.....Thank You.  I have just begun my 12th year of custom sawing.  Sadly, there are very few pictures from the first about 7-8 years of sawing.

It was. Keep up the good work. :) :) :)

Norm

Quote from: Jeff on January 15, 2013, 11:06:51 AM

Bragging on Brian.

Brian is quite the craftsman, I was lucky enough to have him design and make a jewelry chest for Patty. Thanks for reminding me about him Jeff.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,6852.msg94821.html#msg94821

hackberry jake

Here is some pretty lumber. It's one of Magicman's favorites as well  ;D

Magicman

Looks like Sweetgum to me.   ;D

mesquite buckeye

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Magicman on January 16, 2013, 11:36:31 AM

Some crotch Walnut that I sawed for Dodgy Loner.

Yep, that's the stuff! Those boards are 12" wide and the crotch runs through 4' of length ;D

It wasn't supposed to be mine - I was having it sawn for a friend. But he told me to keep those boards, because he only wanted clear lumber. He said I could keep the knotty stuff if I wanted it :o
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

hackberry jake

j-dland

Pecky Cypress.

David

mesquite buckeye

Even funk can be beautiful.

Very nice. ;D

harrymontana

I think this is very pretty lumber tigerwood for both decking and indoor flooring:

everything on hardwood

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: harrymontana on January 18, 2013, 03:13:31 PM
I think this is very pretty lumber tigerwood for both decking and indoor flooring:

supernice...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D

harrymontana

or just some ipe hardwood deck (including pretty surrounding too..)

everything on hardwood

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: harrymontana on January 18, 2013, 03:25:02 PM

How many different species to you cut down there?

Have a list? 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is the first time I have seen any Pecky Cypress put up and finished.
A very unique wood......beautiful.

francismilker

dead hickory or my ever favorite ERC get my vote!  I am really enjoying looking at the pics of differnt cherries and cypress though.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

harrymontana

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 18, 2013, 03:59:12 PM
Quote from: harrymontana on January 18, 2013, 03:25:02 PM

How many different species to you cut down there?

Have a list? 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D

several but for export we mill
- ipe,
- massaranduba,
- tigerwood and
- cuchi

all for both decking and indoor flooring
everything on hardwood

tcsmpsi

Ahhh...so many species, limitless possibilities.   These are sure pretty to me, though.   ;D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: tcsmpsi on January 19, 2013, 11:52:30 AM
Ahhh...so many species, limitless possibilities.   These are sure pretty to me, though.   ;D

Super nice. Redcedar? ;D ;D

pyrocasto

Prettiest wood I've cut so far is apple. Got a 12" by 8ft apple tree that made some georgious lumber! Still waiting for the right project to use it on.

tcsmpsi

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 19, 2013, 01:05:36 PM
Quote from: tcsmpsi on January 19, 2013, 11:52:30 AM

Super nice. Redcedar? ;D ;D

Yes sir.   :)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: pyrocasto on January 19, 2013, 01:12:11 PM
Prettiest wood I've cut so far is apple. Got a 12" by 8ft apple tree that made some georgious lumber! Still waiting for the right project to use it on.

Some of that fruitwood is really nice. We cut up a small pear tree for firewood before I had a mill. When I split it, it was all fiddleback inside.

How about a photo of that apple???????

Fla._Deadheader

Not Apple but pretty to me.  First is Pecky Cypress Table Slabs, 36" wide at widest part and 7' long.

How about another one ?  This one is GuanaCaste, over 30" wide X 12' long.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

JMoore

Different picture of the same live oak table caveman posted but still the prettiest wood I've used!

j-dland

Yes kinda keen on cedar myself when not working cypress.

David

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 19, 2013, 06:11:47 PM

Not Apple but pretty to me.  First is Pecky Cypress Table Slabs, 36" wide at widest part and 7' long.

How about another one ?  This one is GuanaCaste, over 30" wide X 12' long.

What are you doing in Costa Rica?  That guanacaste is super nice. Big tree to make that one. Do you know the scientific name???

Fla._Deadheader

I retired to down here and we planted a small plantation of native soft and hardwoods. I have a Peterson Swing Mill and building a Band Mill, among other things.

The GuanaCaste is at another sawmill that I visited one time.

The scientific name is Enterolobium Cyclocarpum.
   First, it is ridiculed;

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 21, 2013, 01:09:40 PM

I retired to down here and we planted a small plantation of native soft and hardwoods. I have a Peterson Swing Mill and building a Band Mill, among other things.

The GuanaCaste is at another sawmill that I visited one time.

The scientific name is Enterolobium Cyclocarpum.

Very cool. How do you like it down there? I understand many American expatriates live there.

Fla._Deadheader

Been here over 7 years. Suits me just fine.

There are sections full of Americans and Europeans. I'm way out in the country, where just a handful live.
   First, it is ridiculed;

j-dland

Fla._Deadheader,You have been quite an inspiration to me ,Thank You for all your Input on the forum,that cypress you posted was awseme.Thats the kind of wood I like to work with , but I gotta admit it's really hard to Find.My first Pecky Cypress was thought to be junk.. Just luckily someone turned me on to enough info to let me know what I was dealing with.Under the power saw it felt like hollow wood, Almost left it to rot{float}.Now glad I didn"t.Learn a little every day when payin attenttion.Again thanks for your Input on The Forum.
David

Fla._Deadheader

Just glad that I helped someone. Thanks for the kind words.

When I first came here, I had Big Circle Saw 'sperense. We were diving for logs and being taken for a ride by the mill we were selling to.

I decided to build a Big Woodmizer, and got negative and positive input. Took a lot of ribbing, especially with the nice paint job.

It all worked out in the end, and, I'm just trying to put back what I gleaned from the good folks here.
   First, it is ridiculed;

LeeB

I wouldn't say this was the prettiestbecause I've sawn a lot ofpretty wood, but this sure ranksup there with the best of them. This came from a 4 foot long peice of logthat has been laying on a gravel bar in the creek for a long while. I picked it up today and figured what the heck, either spault or rot. Looks like I got lucky.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Okrafarmer

Is there a word for the bright color and splendor the sawyer sees when he first peels away the slab or board? You know what I mean. That vibrant color that goes away in a few minutes, almost no matter what species you are dealing with. Oxidation, or sunlight, or drying out, or whatever, changes the color almost instantly. For instance, black locust that looks like rich chocolate walnut for the first minute or so, and then turns zinc chromate yellow. Walnuts that are rainbow colored inside, then tone down to the chocolate color. Maple and pecan that shine like lip gloss and then tone down to a duller shade. Cherry that glows bright pink, then fades to a more subdued tone. What do we call that phenomenon?  ???

I call it the "initial blush."

You take the log by surprise, and it wasn't ready to reveal its secrets. It instantly blushes, then rearranges its colors to a more defensive stance, where it isn't drawing so much attention. Only the sawyer and anyone else helping or watching gets to see this happen. Everyone else buys the lumber later, and just sees lumber.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

LeeB

Been snorting sawdust again? :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: LeeB on January 23, 2013, 02:52:38 AM
Been snorting sawdust again? :D

Err-- not intentionally, but I did mill locust yesterday. . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: LeeB on January 22, 2013, 11:50:50 PM
I wouldn't say this was the prettiestbecause I've sawn a lot ofpretty wood, but this sure ranksup there with the best of them. This came from a 4 foot long peice of logthat has been laying on a gravel bar in the creek for a long while. I picked it up today and figured what the heck, either spault or rot. Looks like I got lucky.

Do you know what it is? ???

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 23, 2013, 01:49:26 AM
Is there a word for the bright color and splendor the sawyer sees when he first peels away the slab or board? You know what I mean. That vibrant color that goes away in a few minutes, almost no matter what species you are dealing with. Oxidation, or sunlight, or drying out, or whatever, changes the color almost instantly. For instance, black locust that looks like rich chocolate walnut for the first minute or so, and then turns zinc chromate yellow. Walnuts that are rainbow colored inside, then tone down to the chocolate color. Maple and pecan that shine like lip gloss and then tone down to a duller shade. Cherry that glows bright pink, then fades to a more subdued tone. What do we call that phenomenon?  ???

I call it the "initial blush."

You take the log by surprise, and it wasn't ready to reveal its secrets. It instantly blushes, then rearranges its colors to a more defensive stance, where it isn't drawing so much attention. Only the sawyer and anyone else helping or watching gets to see this happen. Everyone else buys the lumber later, and just sees lumber.

Well put. That, and never knowing for sure what you will find inside keeps me cutting.

LeeB

Sycamore. Thanks for reminding me. I thought about it this morning and couldn't remember if I had put the species in the post.  :D

mesquite buckeye

Very nice. How squishy is it?????

;D 8) 8) 8)

LeeB

Surprisingly solid still. I really figured with it being in the creek bed for a year that I know of since I bought the place, that it would be total mush.

Okrafarmer

Here's some wormy spalted ambrosia sycamore. Shows some ray fleck, too.

LeeB

Mine didn't have any bug damage. I do have some ambrosia, spaulted pecan though.

Norm

That's a nice surprise Lee, I would have expected it to be soft also.

Thank You Sponsors!