iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpened bands wander all over?

Started by shinnlinger, January 21, 2013, 09:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

Local Hdwr store is a drop off for a sharpening service that used to do ok on my bands but recently they cut ok but track all over.   I had some bands sharpened by another operation and they go good.  I plan to discuss this with the HDWR service, but want to make sure I give them feedback they can use.  My sense it they either do not set the teeth or do it before they sharpen.  What other advice can I give them?

I happen to have an old hand setter.  Can I set the teeth on these bands?

Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Fla._Deadheader

Sure you can set the teeth. I believe most here that sharpen set before sharpening. It was the way I was told to do it, and, it works well.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Magicman

Your example is the reason that I quit using a local sharpener and use WM ReSharp.  The sharpening cost is the same, but the quality is very different.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What do they charge to sharpen a blade?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Who are you asking?  WM is $10 which includes shipping both ways.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

Just as a wild guess I would say they don't set. I get 2-3 sharpenings between setting. That could be the reason they used to do OK. The set just wore off.
Bill

Brian_Rhoad

Not enough set or set more on one side than the other could cause wandering.

Chuck White

I agree with Brian!

More set on one side than the other.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 21, 2013, 10:13:56 PM
Who are you asking?  WM is $10 which includes shipping both ways.

Sorry, I was asking Shinnlenger.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

shinnlinger

$8 a band for the hdwr store and  I suspect they don't set.   The other guy gets $9 a band but apparently does set.   I can just go to the other guy but if I can constructively criticize the local dude and have him improve his service we all benefit.   If he tells me to stick it ill just use the other guy. 
Last I knew,   Woodmizer only sharpened their own bands.   
Shinnlinger

Magicman

slider

I think if he should have checked your set before he sharpened them.If he has no setter you need to find someone else.
al glenn

Chuck White

I sharpen my own blades, I also set them every time!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

you can look down the band and see if its set anywhere near correct at a glance. the teeth should be fairly close to half a tooth out each way, typically it is the cant side of the band that loses set first for me.

if i notice the band needs set i will set before sharpening, but i also get a few sharpenings before they need set again.

Nomad

Quote from: Chuck White on January 22, 2013, 08:08:08 AM
I sharpen my own blades, I also set them every time!

+2  It does away with the "HuH?" factor.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Cutting Edge

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

ely

if i have a sharp band with less set that will not cut pine, it will cut good in oak... just another small tidbit i have no ;Dticed.

Kansas

We cut a lot of cottonwood. Sometimes we have to up the set right out of the box. Depending on how fuzzy the cottonwood is. Lack of set will make the blade go crazy. Poor set will as well, as in one side set way higher than the other. You could probably make your own dial indicator by getting a cheap dial indicator from harbor freight, and fashion a bracket, and determine what your set is. My guess is Cooks, Timberking, suffolk machinery, already have them set up.

shinnlinger

I sawed  my house out of white pine blowdown five years ago but haven't done much with the mill till recently when coincidently I was sawing white oak trailer decking.   I do so little sawing it doesn't make sense for me to sharpen. 

called local guy and got a big lecture on proper band tension, but he said he would take them back and "double check the set"

Now onto tension, my mill is just a threaded rod.   I put the band on loose,   Check the tracking and fire it up.   It will flop up and down and I tighten until i stop the flop.  This is unscientific I realize but seems to work fine and with most bands yields good results. 
Shinnlinger

Jeff

That does not sound like enough tension to me, if you only tighten until they don't flop.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Nomad

Quote from: Jeff on January 23, 2013, 05:31:00 PM
That does not sound like enough tension to me, if you only tighten until they don't flop.

It doesn't sound like enough to me either.  But I think at least one band manufacturer recommends something like that as procedure.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

LeeB

Keep tightening till it starts to vibrate again aand then back off till it just smooths out.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

shinnlinger

My tension methods may be suspect, but in my defense, I have milled over 20,000 bdft of lumber doing this and have NEVER broken a band, not one.  The only time i have ever had any trouble with blade tracking (other than dull) was with these bands on their 5th resharp from a specific operation with a spotty reputation (as I am finding out locally) while other similar bands resharped from someone else is no problem.  Bottom line is I don't believe my tension is the issue, but I may try the LeeB's method next time Im out there....

Dave
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!