iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

look into our sawing operation.. pic's included

Started by red oaks lumber, August 04, 2014, 10:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

this part of the operation isn't as nice as the finish mill but, the lumber journey has to start somewhere right?

logs waiting in the wood yard to be loaded on the log deck 

sawdust removal chute 

when the wood comes off the mill it either goes thru the edger or the resaw

the sawdust produced by the resaw gets sucked up into the sawdust chute for easy disposal

slabs go into the rack and are banded when full.

check out our awesome stickering :D this customer wants 2 sticks to keep from being dead stacked.white hard maple we saw a semi load every 3 days so it dosent sit to long

the oak for the same customer can be dead stacked.

the place isn't fancy but, it sure gets cold in the winter :snowball: :D
thanks for coming along
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Does all that oak go to flooring?
Good pics Steve!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

for that customer its all flooring,we just saw green for them they supply the logs. right now we are cutting 5000 b.f. a day of oak. last month it was hard maple

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks for sharing the pics.  I like your sawdust extraction system.  What are you doing with the slabs?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Barney II

Now I know what a real mill looks like. You are running one great operation.  Good show on everything---Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

kczbest

Thanks for sharing the pics! You have a real nice setup there.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

schmism

are you mainly a stationary saw despite having wheels on that mill?

If you are, have you considered going all electric?  One would think the payback would be quick considering fuel cost and engine maintenance.  Although it also looks like your edger/resaw is also engine powered.   You dont have access to 3phase power?
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

r.man

I wish you were near me, I like hardwood slabs for firewood but no-one is cutting near me anymore. What do you do with the sawdust?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

TeaW

TeaW

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

I'm super jealous  :)
That is one very nice setup.  smiley_thumbsup_grin
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Larry

Always curious.  Why not an electric mill?  How many workers?

If neatness counts you get an A.  I like your setup.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

CalebL

I would love to see your kiln operation........
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Joe Hillmann

Do you do anything with the exhaust from the mill to get it out of the building? Do you have any heat in the building in the winter? 

red oaks lumber

we sell the slabs for $30 / bundle. sawdust is sold $ 20 / 5 yrds approx.
right now 3 phase would run a little over $9 grand so, i dont want to spend that yet. also being "portable" anything over 16' we just move outside to cut.
resaw from cants the mill breaks down, this customer buys bolts so the cants are never real big.
running the sawmill side there are 3 full time workers.
this year will be the first winter needing to run every day so, we are going to direct plumb the exhaust outside, the mill will have a overhead pivot arm with flex pipe running to a exhaust fan to remove it outside. as far as heat, the plan right now is putting a outside wood boiler in with a heat exchanger blowing the heat inside, using just mill scraaps during the day with round stock for over night. the goal is to just keep the building at or above 10 degrees.
if time allows i'll do my best to get kiln pics. within 2 weeks. :)
thanks for the kind words fellas

slider

5000 ft a day in 1 in material is clicking right along .That re-saw must speed things up quiet a bit.Thanks for the show.al
al glenn

mad murdock

Nice setup RedOaks!  5 mbf a day is nothing to sneeze at! how many bands a day do you run through at that production rate?  do you have a "filing" room for doing your own sharpening?  Spooner is nice in the summer, but like all points north of HWY 64 in the land of cheese, a frozen tundra wasteland in the winter!  Thanks for posting 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

21incher

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Do frozen solid logs slow your milling down in the winter? Some of us will not hit 5mbf in a lifetime. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

good pics! You have a well thought out setup to say the least. Your incoming timber looks real nice, I am envious ! Cheers  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

SPD748

Very nice operation! I'm with you on the 3 phase. Its easy math when it comes to monthly costs, not so easy when it comes to installation.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

customsawyer

Nice setup. Would like to come see it in person sometime.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

red oaks lumber

sawing frozen wood is almost eaiser than non frozen but, anything about frozen sucks :) we sharpen and set our own blades, if the wood is fairly clean we go thru 10 -15 blades a day.
come on up stud, i'll give you skidsteer driving lessons free of charge while your here :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mad murdock

WDH, you need to visit about the first week of January to get the full impact of Northern Wisc winter. But dress warm. You will need layers!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!