iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stacked A Stack O' Stuck Stickers Today

Started by Ribsy, August 10, 2014, 07:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ribsy

Thursday I ran out of stickers which seems to be an ongoing dilema.  ;) So, Friday I demoted a couple of logs for the required necessity. Cut about 120 - 8 footers and proceeded to stack them as last time I didn't and the mold took over quickly. Summertime in Georgia. Hot and humid!

Then, I started reading I read Magic's thread "Portable Sawmilling" and the precise stickering requirements of some of our fellow sawyers (I won't mention names) and decided the best thing for my stickers would be the royal treatment... So here it is...

Smothered and covered...

Red oaks got nuthin' on me!  8)  8)  8)
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

Delawhere Jack

What was the line from the movie Jaws?

"You're gonna need a bigger boat more stickers."  ;)

You can never have too many.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I wanna go visit Red Oak Lumber (Steve)....I'll bet his house it built out of stickers.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

And I bet he did not cut them with TK :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

barbender

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 10, 2014, 07:26:17 PM
I wanna go visit Red Oak Lumber (Steve)....I'll bet his house it built out of stickers.  :D
;D :D
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

Straight stacking sticks sticker splendidly.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red oaks lumber

peter thats funny stuff :D :D :D
ribsy, nice looking pile but, on your base you have three supports on your pallet 2 rows of stickers are un supported :P ;D
i'm glad you fellas have been paying attention :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

Hmmm? 8' stickers, but hope you are not making 8' wide air dry piles.  May be why you are getting mold, if so.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ribsy

For clarification, the 8' stickers were downsized to 4 footers as they were stacked and stickered. The last photos reflect that. Sorry for the confusion.

Red Oaks, the bottom support is a plastic pallet  37" x 47" with 3 supports. The middle one is centered. I stuck the stickers relative to those supports with one extra between them.
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

BCsaw

Now that is a nice stack of stickers!!! ;D ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

backwoods sawyer

and you stopped at two logs why? ;D
Now that you have everything set up put another dozen logs in front of the mill and make a big batch so you don't have to resetup later ;)

Nicely done ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brad_S.

I rarely have luck getting stickers to dry straight. I found it better to cut boards, let them dry, then rip stickers. Also a great use for low grade lumber. Perhaps the Georgia heat will dry them faster and keep them straighter. Good luck.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

hackberry jake

Making more stickers is always on my to-do list. Sweet stickered stickers! Did you sticker the stickers that you sticked the stickers with?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ribsy

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 11, 2014, 01:55:37 PM
Making more stickers is always on my to-do list. Sweet stickered stickers! Did you sticker the stickers that you sticked the stickers with?

Hackberry, I did sticker the stickers that are stuck in the sticker stack. Yes, I did!   :D :D

crackerhead

Hey Ribsy. I see you are from Dahlonega . I live just south of there on Old Dahlonega Hwy.Where bouts in them thar hills are ya? Maybe meet up with you some time and shake that paw and shoot the breeze with you Give me a call sometime 7705392561 Randall
"thars gold in them thar hills"  Dahlonega Ga ,site of America's first major gold rush in 1828

dboyt

My stickers started disappearing about the time my wife decided they'd make good tomato stakes.  A good use for low-grade lumber.  I like your idea of putting them on a pallet.  That'll make it easy to move them to your lumber stacks.  Overall, I'm satisfied sawing sassafras, sycamore, and sweetgum for seasoned stacks of stickers.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Alligator

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 10, 2014, 07:19:32 PM
You can never have too many.
It is hard but, it is possible to have too many.
We contracted to dress a larger sawmills 1x4 as their planer wouldn't keep up with their production. They said to band the stickers and they would send a truck when they slowed down a bit. 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, I called Joe a said "we have a row 100' long as high as the forklift can stack them. He said " I know, I know" 6 more months, nothing but another row. We wound up with 4 rows of 6' oak KD stickers. They finally told us they didn't want them, to sell them and split the money. They were a pine mill and had an oak flooring plant, with a huge kiln. They produced all the sticks they ever need. That is too many. Stickers in 5' round bundles are hard to handle with a forklift!
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

WoodenHead

Quote from: Brad_S. on August 11, 2014, 01:25:41 PM
I rarely have luck getting stickers to dry straight. I found it better to cut boards, let them dry, then rip stickers. Also a great use for low grade lumber.

+1 

I take my lower grade lumber (that is dry) and rip it into stickers.  Drying individual green stickers has not worked very well for me either.  They seem to turn into twisted curly sticks.  :(

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!