iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer spring load

Started by Night Raider, June 06, 2009, 08:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Raider

I'm putting new springs on my sawmill trailer, the old ones aren't stiff enough (they're from a boat trailer).  I was looking at some 1250lb springs that are on sale, but wondering if they would be too stiff.  The total weight is probably about 1000lbs, I'd like to be able to strap a couple hundred pounds of lumber to the bed too.  Just wondering if 2500lb would make the trailer ride too hard?  Is there a rule of thumb for sizing springs?

Thanks

redprospector

I don't know if there is a rule of thumb, other than figuring what the mill and what you intend to carry weighs, and use springs and axle adequate to carry that weight.

When I built my mill I had a pair of springs that were rated at 3500#, and they don't seem too stiff to me. I've only carried lumber on the mill once in the last 10 years, I alway's wind up having to go back with another trailer.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

bandmiller2

Raider,tow to a good spring shop and ask about a graduated [or something like that] spring upper leaves are light lower leaves thicker rides good with lighter load but has the backbone for a load.They may even add leaves to your spring.If not i would put on the heavier springs your looking at, and not have the tires rock hard.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!