iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable milling schedule

Started by CCCLLC, March 17, 2018, 08:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCCLLC

Looking for a better system then I am doing now. Presently keep a "white board" with customer name a guesstimate of month I should be able to make it. So many variables with weather delays and customer ahead of them adding a few xtra logs at times. Find it hard to project timing on jobs 3 or 4 out. I don't put names on board until I first do an initial job  site visit and talk with client about his logs and project. 
   Just looking for ideas to be better organized.

WV Sawmiller

I am glad you have enough of a backlog it is a problem. I have several at any time loosely scheduled. Scheduled is probably a misnomer as they are usually getting their logs and help together. I generally just saw the next one who commits to being ready. I tell all my customers to call when they are ready for a schedule. Sometimes one can't saw till the weekend and if someone else calls early in the week I will sandwich him in ahead of my weekend customer.

In response to your question though I don't have a real formal system. I just list their name on an Excel spreadsheet till we schedule and do the job.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom the Sawyer

I use Google calendar so that I have access to my schedule (and my wife's) on my desktop and all of our devices, at all times.  At this time of year, I book tentative dates whenever my schedule and the client's will line up.  I use Intellicast to get a 10 day advance weather forecast and, if I see something coming up which might be a problem, I'll notify them.  My general rule is wind chills below freezing, or heat indices above 100, I'll stay home (I retired from a job where you worked no matter how bad it got outside).

When appointments are booked well in advance, I'll send a confirmation about 3 days ahead, although sometimes the weather may necessitate another confirmation the evening before. 

One thing that reduces the stress associated with scheduling is that I don't schedule mobile appointments on consecutive days.  Being retired may have something to do with that but that "off" day means that I can do maintenance (on equipment or me), mill here at home, or just be retired.  It also means that, if weather forces a postponement, I have days where I can fit them in.

This is what works for me, but I only invoiced 135 jobs last year.   ;)  

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Magicman

I have a little white book in which I write their information when they first call.  The next (booked) person that calls telling me that they are ready is the next one to be sawn.  That is when we set up a scheduled saw date.  I have found that there are too many variables such as weather and additional logs to schedule beyond that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

Tom,

135 jobs sounds a long way from being retired to me :D :D :D.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Crossroads

I work a 4 on 4 off schedule that is printed on a color coordinated calendar a year in advance. I don't schedule anything on my first day of because I'm coming off of a 12 hr. Graveyard. If possible I only schedule on week days, so I can spend the weekend with family. Anyway, I just write a name and number on the calendar for the date. If there is a cancellation I fill it with the next customer. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!