iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

odd fruit

Started by thedeeredude, August 03, 2008, 07:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

I saw a tree at work the other day and the fruit looked like the star fruit you see, but it was neon green and only had 4 points on it.  There was a ton of thorns on the tree too.  Found out the hard way :)  I can't take pictures though, so you'll have t go off the description.  Thanks.

Dodgy Loner

Weird...Same size as a starfruit, too?  The only thing I can think of that would be growing in PA with a neon green fruit that large, and with lots of thorns, is an osage-orange (Maclura pomifera).  It has more of a grapefruit shape than a starfruit shape, though.  It's a mystery to me :P.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

thedeeredude

No dodgy, its smaller than a star fruit, maybe an inch and a half long.  I'll bring some fruit home with me and get a picture of the leaves too.

Dodgy Loner

Well, that sounds like a Carolina silverbell (Halesia carolina), except that silverbell doesn't have thorns.  Here's a picture of the fruit:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

thedeeredude

Dats it!  But it definitely has thorns.  Really sharp thorns. 

Dodgy Loner

Silverbells are as common as rocks around here, and I've yet to see one with thorns.  Could you possibly get a picture of 'em?  Maybe you've discovered a new variety ???

thedeeredude

Yeah, Ill grab a branch tomorrow and get a photo of the thorns.

thedeeredude

Dodgy Loner

Yep, that's a Halesia carolina for sure.

SwampDonkey

Where's the thorns? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thedeeredude

I'm getting there :D  I'm not a procrastinator, I just like saving stuff for tomorrow. :)

Dodgy Loner

Top Ten Reasons to Procrastinate:

thedeeredude

Ok.  I got a round tuit ;D  These things are awful sharp too. 

Thank You Sponsors!