iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stump

Started by hopm, August 06, 2018, 09:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

Had a call today about a walnut stump a guy had dug out. He asked if there was anything he could do with it. He sent pictures. It looks massive. He said the stump itself is close to 36" across. I volunteered to work it up. Any suggestion you could give on how to approach this would be much appreciated!!

YellowHammer

The root ball is murder on bands due to all the hidden dirt and pebbles.

Pressure wash it, then take a chainsaw and trim off all the little roots.  Then pressure wash it again.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Skipper11A

Have lots of sharp blades on hand because there is going to be a lot of dirt and rocks embedded in the roots.  I don't like it at all.  It sounds like you have a customer who is very excited to abuse your equipment.  That root ball would never be on my sawmill unless there was some serious compensation.  Discretion is the better part of valor.

bushhog920

Turn it upside down and bury the trunk. With no dirt on the roots it looks like a interesting bush.

mike_belben

Id have told him he could get a leaf blower and some motor oil, then burn it.
Praise The Lord

Peter Drouin

Go ahead and see what it's all about. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tmbrcruiser

I should have taken pictures. Last month a friend brought me a walnut log with the stump attached. The DBH is approximately 20" and the log is approximately 16'. I washed the root ball and trimmed the roots back until it looks like an almost normal log. At this point I had sharpened the chain saw three times but I believe I've trimmed away all of the soil. Haven't sawn the log yet and I'm not sure it was worth all the trouble. 
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

DWyatt

I did this once with a maple stump for one of my projects, I'm not sure there's too many people with enough money to make me do it again :D

This is what I looked like after 3 hours of pressure washing and hacking with the chainsaw.

And the Stump after that 3 hours.

3 chainsaw chains and 5 bands later the stump gave up 7 pieces around 1 1/2" thick. Here's the first piece I used and the project I made with it. Told my sister if she didn't appreciate her Christmas present that year that I was going to disown her :D It was one of the most exciting, aggravating projects to date but boy she gave up some beautiful slabs.

Make sure you make like Peter and get some suitcases of money and boxes of bands when its all done ;)

Magicman

I have done it and I don't envy you.  Hourly rate plus blades. 

I had a root stub to snap off a hydraulic fitting on my log clamp when I turned a stump.  You will only have trouble loading, turning, clamping, and sawing.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Depends what you want out of it.  Gunstock, knee braces or slabs?  The first two you do with a chainsaw ripping.
Timber Time 7: Stump Cleaning for milling knee braces - YouTube
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!