iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another one saved from the scrap heap

Started by mad murdock, June 21, 2015, 10:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

a scrapper that comes around our work a few weeks back had a "later" model Homelite XL12 in his truck with a broken starter recoil. The saw looked little used. He said grab it if you want it, so yesterday i got around to checking it out. Minor cleaning and a recoil spring and rope are needed.  I swapped a side cover from another XL I had to see if it was worth it. Compression was 135 cold as received. Bar and chain appear almost new. It ias an Oregon chain 72LGX "like". The rakers have a bent over "top" type of safety feature, never seen that before. I put an o ring on the oiler pump. It cuts good after a minor tweak on the carb adjustments. Stsrts by 2-3 pull every time. I will get a few pics up later today.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

This pic shows the anti-kickback feature on the depth gauges.  Never used a chain like this before.  I filed it and it appeared as though it was a brand new chain, never been filed.  The things people throw away. ;D

kellysguy

Threw away cause he cut up hid old lady with it. :D

fossil

Quote from: mad murdock on June 21, 2015, 11:07:53 PM

This pic shows the anti-kickback feature on the depth gauges.  Never used a chain like this before.  I filed it and it appeared as though it was a brand new chain, never been filed.  The things people throw away. ;D

That's an Oregon Vanguard chain. Very common on homeowner 3/8" pitch saws
Tim

mad murdock

Quote from: fossil on June 22, 2015, 11:53:28 AM

I figured it was some Joe weekend woodcutter anti-kickback device from yore.  I will use the chain as it came with the saw, but if I don't sell the saw, I will put regular 72LG or something on it.

lumberjack48

The XL-12 Homelite had to be one of the best saws ever made. I got my first one in 1964. I was cutting swamp Spruce with a C-9 Homelite, it weighted 10 lbs more then the XL-12. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

HolmenTree

Quote from: mad murdock on June 22, 2015, 03:23:18 PM
Quote from: fossil on June 22, 2015, 11:53:28 AM

I figured it was some Joe weekend woodcutter anti-kickback device from yore.  I will use the chain as it came with the saw, but if I don't sell the saw, I will put regular 72LG or something on it.

There's  nothing wrong with that Vanguard chain. Best smooth bore cutting chain out there. Also the wide top depth gauge is very precise keeping the .025 setting throughout a log
without over biting in rotted wood when going into solid wood.
Fastest  smoothest  ANSI rated green chisel chain out there. ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mad murdock

Thanks for the endorsement HT. i am going to use it. It does cut fine I like it better than the safety link chain. LJ48, I would put the old Homelite XL up there with the Mac 10-10. They were mainstays for literally decades!  Still good saws today, IMO.

Thank You Sponsors!