iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The good, the bad and the ugly.. logs

Started by Ianab, August 01, 2004, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

I've posted previously about intending to saw some logs for my ex who's house had burnt down. Yesterday we salveged some more logs from some trees growing around the house. Idea is to saw them for some trim and pannelling around the new house.  At least it should have 'character'. The big log in the background is the Good, the 2 front ones are the Ugly.. and there is a weird 3 way piece  of crotch log at the right that I hope has a coffee table hiding inside it ??? It's all Port Orford cedar by the way.

This is by far the easiest way to drag logs around  :)

The trees and the bamboo had to go... this is the view they were blocking  8)

House site ready for the builders to start work.

Now I've just go to go and mill up those logs, hopefully before it rains and turns the whole place to a mud hole  :( Even though the weather looks brilliant, it's the middle of winter and it was -4C when we started that morning. Warmed up soon enough and was rather pleasant by the afternoon. We set up some deck chairs out of the wind and watched the digger working  ;)

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV_hillbilly

lanab

Is that where the new house is going  ? Or does Your buddy like to dig holes .  Like a big sand box.   :D
Hillbilly

Ianab

QuoteIs that where the new house is going  ? Or does Your buddy like to dig holes .  Like a big sand box

Both  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

iain

they aint ugly i'll have then any day 8)  you can keep the big trader in the back ground  
i'd die happy looking at the view
can you zoom in on the logs for me espes the ugly bits?

Cedarman

What logs?  I haven't taken my eyes off the view.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ianab

Hi Iain

This is the best I can do of the logs at the moment. I've seen the stuff you are making and I'm sure you would come up with something neat out of em. I'll post some more pics once I get them opened up. I will try and cut one live edge slab from each one, maybe use some as legs on the coffee table from the short fat piece  :) There will be plenty of nice timber in the big log make 4x1 panneling and trim, so I will play with the uglies.

iain

Ianab

Standard cut on my mill is 8", 16 inches by double cutting. But my usual method is to cut 2/3 of the log then roll it over and cut from the other side. I can make one full width slab per log.
Like this

Ianab

Well while everyone else is off roasting a piggy we went and dealt to some of the ugly logs  :)

Rolling log onto bunks ready for sawing.

Making first cuts into the log.

Got the log opened up and taking boards off.

This one put up a fight... the tension in the knot grabbed the blade and pushed the bunk sideways  ::)

Finally gave up on that and dealt to it  :D

Not looking so ugly now  :)

Now if the rain stops sometime in the next week I'll go and saw up the rest  ::)

Ian

isawlogs

Ain't ever seen a ugly log  ;)..... Seen alot of logs with more or less character   ;D  those just have a little bit more  ;) ;)
 Wile you are into close ups can I get you to take one of your cant hook, did you buy this one or make it  ???
  Its -4 and winter ... wish we had winters like that here .....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ianab

Hi isaw

I know I've posted a pic of that hook before....
...digging thru the photo archives...
..Aha  :)

The business end

It's made by Peterson, all steel, kinda heavy but lots of leverage and really strong.

ScottAR

Looks like if ya keep pulling the hook it turns itself into a timber jack??    Nifty!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ianab

Here's one for all you 'character' log fans  :D
We have flipped the bottom slab back up onto the bottom slab of another log to cut a live edge slab.

This is what we ended up with. The mud on the trailer is a clue as to the recent weather. No way I was taking the 4wd down onto the clay house site.

The rain starts again and we retreat to the shed to wait it out.

But soon back into it and cut some nice 4x1 from the nicer small logs.

All pictures courtesy of LIL :)

Corley5

That is an impressive view 8) 8) 8)  Once a log is squared they don't look anywhere near as uqly ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ianab

Grrr.... wet weather  >:(

We got a bit more sawing in this weekend..
The Ugliest bit of wood I've ever rolled onto the mill  :D

Got it trimmed down, recovered some usefull shorts between the knots. We will flip it over and cut from the other side on top of the next log.

Then we moved the mill up to this log, a quad bike on mud and a cant hook will only move so much.  ::)

The thick bark on the bigger log was diabolical to saw, like cutting thru a nylon pot scourer  >:(

Was about to take a break and touch up the blade tips, but the rain began again. Had to help the 4wd out of the clay with the quad bike, so that was it for the weekend  ::)
Have arranged to cut a few more Port Orfords, Macrocarpa cypress and this huge beanstalk of a eucalyptus.. once this missing excavator actually turns up to haul the logs out.
fun fun fun :D

ian

Captain

Nice Work!!!

I cut an ugly log with the Peterson Friday night, 9 feet long, about 37" in diameter.  There was at least 3 major limbs sections coming out of it.

Turns out it was worth it, most of it was curly!!  Even the edgings are stacked and drying.  Gotta get some pointers on cutting pen blanks from you folks.  I was also considering yo-yo blanks....

Captain

Ianab

The mission continues...
Had a SDO (sawmill day off) today and went and tidied up the last of the Port Orford Cedars.
This is the good boards from the big log.

Then I hauled up the last 3rd of that Ugly log, using the bottom slab of the big log for support.

This is what I was left with... interesting to say the least  :)

Not all where as interesting as that one... some of the slabs were kinda boring. I'm sure I will find a use for them anyway.

Got another big Monterray Cypruss on the ground too, so thats the next mission...  ::)

Ian

iain

Ianab

Thanks iain.. it was the stuff you are making that inspired me to saw what I'd normally call firewood  ;)
After seeing some of your stuff I thought... there is a coffee table in there.
ian

iain

dont forgot its not got to be straight edge flat (best if its not) hand belt sand then leave for a while (few weeks) then do it again random orbit to 240g and no heavy looking finish my normal is 50%white sprit 50% TOP quality high gloss (add up to 30% tung for softer feel thats resists water sponge on heavy and leave till very dry light sand u
another couple of coats sponge on light and a few mins later before it gets tacky buff it of with and old flannelet? sheet
wax if you want

Ianab

Revisiting an old thread.... :)

Started pulling some Port Orford Cedar off the drying stack and planing it up. This was sawed as 4x1, these are some nice short boards that came from the ugliest log in the pile. The longer boards are being used for closet lining, the nice short ones like this will go into a blanket chest / window  seat.

The site is now less like a dirt box and more like a house site.

Ian

iain

Nice looking boards
and the house looks like its getting along

iain

rebocardo

What beautiful wood and what a view! Thank you for the pictures :-)

Ianab

The panneling is going in the closet now. Not what you would call clear boards, but I like the look  ;)

Furby

I don't really care for clear boards in most applications myself, so I think it looks great!!!

Thank You Sponsors!