iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turning way to big logs on the mill

Started by Stuart Caruk, October 11, 2018, 08:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Caruk

As I'm feeling better, I'm getting back to some of the projects that were put on the back burner during my transplant process. So I've got a bunch of large fir that's been sitting off the ground on my log pile for over 2 1/2 years. It's all starting to grow conch's on the ends of the sapwood, so I'm milling off the sapwood to recover what I can get from the decent centers. I'm getting into the 36" to 42" logs now that are bucked to 22' or so. My log loader is down yet again... same dang hydraulic leak I think that has drained the entire tank yet again... sigh. I'm reporting to pulling the logs out with the Skytrak and loading them from the backside. It works O/K, but the logs end up further down the table than I would like in an attempt to not bust up my saw carriage. I've ordered powered rollers to help position the logs laterally, but I still end up with too much log hanging way down my table.

Sawmill is a Woodmizer LX450 with a chain turner. Now, a claw turner wouldn't even touch these logs to roll them. The chain rolls O/K when the logs are solid. Sadly these logs have punky sapwood, so the chain just rips off the sapwood, or doesn't roll the log. To get by, I pounded in a hand lifting dog, then attached a chain to it, and ran it back over the top of the log to my telehandler, retracted the boom, and vvvvvvvpppp, the log rolled 90 degrees onto the stops. Had to do this twice until I had whittled the log down a bit. 2nd try didn't go so well. I ripped the handle off the dog, and the log rolled backwards till it hit the clamp.

I know that I've seen pictures of a tool that some of you folks use. I'll be darned if I can find it though. I believe it was a sharp hook or claw that you pounded into the log, with a clevis attached. It clipped into a length of chain and was used to grab the log to parbuckle it. I've searched the forum with no luck. Any ideas, or a place to buy one?

Thanks,

Stu
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

nativewolf

I had no idea you were headed to transplant surgery.  Always enjoyed your posts!  

Sadly, I have no clue on the tool you describe.  

Keeping getting better
Liking Walnut

Ljohnsaw

I think MM had one made from a broken set of log tongs.  I have a hook from an old cant hook and that works pretty good.  I've done MUCH better using a tow strap.  Wrap it around the log and pass it through the eye on one end.  You want the short eye coming up the side you are trying to lift, the long eye will fold over through that eye and double back on itself.  But, works best if it is at the bottom of the log.  It will cinch tight as you lift - can't fall out like a hook might.  Easier to reposition and probably will grip better on the punky wood you have than a hook.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Could you be referring to Magic Hooks?  I made these from broken logging tongs but replacement hooks from Logrite would work:  Replacement Hooks - LogRite Tools LLC
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

farmfromkansas

Cooks sells a hook for their MP32 mill, they use a small electric winch, you wrap a cable around the log, and the hook attaches to the end of the cable, just turn on the winch and it rolls the log into the dogs. I bought a bigger winch to roll big logs, works great.  Just have to support the winch by chaining it to a tractor or truck. Otherwise you bend your winch stand.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Magicman

I turned an ornery log last week using a Magic Hook, chain, and the sawmill's log clamp.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

I replaced the loader/turner with this:

It slides in and out under motor control for travel and optimum pull point. 

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Treehack

As expected, Magic's are much more sophisticated than mine.  I just hacked mine out of a scrap piece of plate steel.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

alanh

I used an old wrecker hook, I ground a sharp edge on it instead of the point.

samandothers

Stuart, somehow missed you were having surgery.  Glad you are getting where you can get out and do some stuff.

Stuart Caruk

Somehow I missed this thread. Yes, MM, that hook was exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to order some up. I love my Logrite cant hooks. It's the first ones I've used that don't leave me sitting on the ground. There's just something about the way they have the geometry and grind figured out. 

And thanks for all the other ideas as well.

As far as surgery, so far I'm 21 months past my expiry date and doing well. I went from being the sickest guy in the US with a+ and now I'm almost back to full speed. A new (we actually new to me... I tried to get new, but they don't seem to make them in my size) Liver and Kidney and a few $$$ poorer and I'm back at it.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!