Grumpy old men

Started by pineywoods, May 04, 2010, 08:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

pineywoods , did I see that tractor down the road from you? bg

pineywoods

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on January 11, 2011, 12:55:56 AM
pineywoods , did I see that tractor down the road from you? bg

Probably was it's twin. He now has 2 of 'em. The shed we built is several miles up the road at a place he rents to run his cows. Hobby rancher, works a day job that's 10-12 hour days, frequently 6 days a week, out of town a lot. DanG good neighbor.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ErikC

Piney-It looks to me like you are the DanG good neighbor. 8)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

forest

Nice work ... better be careful or you may find that you have a new name.

pineywoods

Grumpy's at it again. Cutting bean sticks in the middle of winter.

As usual, there's a story here.

83 year old widow lady calls me up asking if I have any bean sticks, needs some NOW.
What's the hurry, it's middle of the winter. She cultivates the ground and puts the sticks in place the first of Feb, then plants the beans next to the poles on good friday. That way, she doesn't have to take time off from the rest of the garden when the beans start running, the sticks are already there. She lives alone and raises a huge vegatable garden and supports herself by selling produce out of the back of a pickup truck

Work party, donated logs...bunch of 5/4 X 8ft pine sticks.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

bugdust

Around these parts we call Grumpy Old Men helping out, "DO-GOODERS." My hats off to all "Grumpy Old Men" on the Forum.     smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Good job Piney.  Our group hasn't decided where our next project will be, but I look forward to it each year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Maybe you should change your name to "Good Ol' Boys"?!?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mooseherder

That was the name of the Band the Blues Brothers stole for the Gig at the Bang him up with Chicken wire syndrom place. :D  
(I forgit the name of da place) ::)

clww

It was named "Bob's Country Bunker" and it was created just for the movie.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

pineywoods

The grumpy ole men ain't dead yet, although 2 of the original gang have passed on.  Bunch of us got together today and fixed up a small house for an elderly widow down the road a ways. House was built on concrete piers which had sunk in the soil. Walking across the floor in the house was about like trying to walk on a trampoline. We used a bunch of hardwood wedges (cut on my bandmill) to force the foundations back level, then ran 2 sets of 8X8 cypress beams the full length of the house. These were set up on new concrete piers. Floor is now level and plenty firm..She treated the whole crew (seven of us) with a fantastic lunch of home-made beef stew over rice, speckled butter beans cooked with bacon, green beans, delish home-made rolls, lemon pudding, and all the sweet tea we could drink...

It was too dark under there to get any decent pictures, and I was too busy stuffing my face to get pictures of the lunch. Besides, if I had stopped to take pics, that bunch of rednecks would have eaten it all before I got to the table... ;D

LOGDOG

You're a good man Pineywoods. Very nice that you guys do this kind of stuff. I wish I knew of a crew locally that does this. I'd join up. Sometimes a person just needs to do something for their fellowman and not have dollar signs attached to the act.

WDH

Why you grumpy old rascal!  You make us proud. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodchuck53

How old you gotta be to qualify as 'Grumpy'? My wife says I am sometimes when I get back in and sends me to the shop for a fix. Usally iron or wood and I'm almost back to normal.

Oh, I just boxed in a large room so a new mother would have a spare bedroom for her son when the new baby arrived. Old house and not a plumb wall around. Does this help me make the team?
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

barbender

Do you Grumps get up to northern Minnesota often? I've got a backlog of projects that's going to take me about three lifetimes to finish
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Good for you and your fellow "grumps" Piney.

As you well know, every time that you give a blessing you receive a blessing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

We should all be so lucky to have good neighbors like you Wayne!

bandmiller2

I'am sure you grumpsters pull permits for all that construction.Our tractor pullers club had our own building inspector,he admitted I am the best inspector money can buy. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Just read the whole thread. You guys are busy. What are fine job you are all doing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Here's the latest project from the grumpy old men..

We found out about a young man who loves to deer hunt. Unfortunately, he can't hunt much. Had the misfortune to be born with severe birth defects. No legs, no neck, deformed arm and a host of internal problems. Donated logs and materials and we build this..

Gun ports on 3 sides, wheel chair accessible, carpet on floor and walls, insulated. Deer season here lasts till around new years, by then it's COLD.

Can y'all guess where we are from ?

mesquite buckeye

Very cool Piney.  ;D You and your buddies are a blessing to your community. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WmFritz

Nice touch with his name o'er the door. ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WDH

No self respecting deer will come near that blind  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

Very nice Pineywoods!  I see it also comes with built in pallet fork spaces.

Thank You Sponsors!