iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally some good help

Started by CX3, January 22, 2014, 10:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Had a guy call me Monday night saying he was a professional log cutter. He could do this and that or whatever I want done. I say come on in Tuesday morning as I get off the phone with a chuckle. He shows up 30 minutes early,  asks what saw I wanted him to use and walks in the woods.

We were still warming up the skidder so I couldn't hear him down in the woods. Well here he comes back up to the landing. I tell the operator I bet you lunch he smashed a saw lol

He says I need the skidder down here. I say are you pinched?  He said no and goes back to the woods. Me and the operator had another chuckle.

He started his saw at 8 am. Quit at 230 and had 11,240 bf on deck. Today he cut well over 12-13000.

Nice guy too. I'm glad to have him. He can even sharpen his own saw lol
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

rick f

What did the operator have for lunch? :D
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

shortlogger

I only understand understand log volume in tons and cords , never cut timber by the foot . So how many tons would that translate to ?
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

treeslayer2003

is he accurate? or are ya on a clearcut?

coxy

if he is that good give him what ever he wants ;D

rbhunter

It sounds like you have some good help and he has a good boss. A win win situation for both of you.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Clark

shortlogger - 500 bdft is about 1 cord.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Autocar

Sounds like a good guy your a lucky fellow  ;).
Bill

CX3

I really cant believe Ive got him.  Hes been logging his whole life and moved to my area for his wifes work! 

He wore the skidder man out!  I cant cut that much in a day, my best day ever was 9240 bf.  I usually cut around 7-8000.  Hes fast and good.  Very good timber cutter. 

I told him if hed stay with me he could get whatever saw,  equipment, hours he wanted lol

Oh and I just got back from the mill for his second day of work.........14,400 bf plus 4 stave logs they laid out. Good grief I couldnt do that any day of the week. 

Ill take him at his word, he told me he was one of the best, so I'll eat crow all day long  8)
You Better Believe It!

mad murdock

That is some good production!!  8) 8)  He is a keeper for sure 8) Glad to hear it is working for the both of you guys :new_year:
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Nice to find good help. Pay him well and treat him well. He's a keeper. Now just hope he shows up on time each day and can put in a weeks work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shortlogger

So if 500' is about 1 cord  and a cord of hardwood is about 3 tons 14000' would be about 84 tons and that is a pretty good day in hardwood . It's more than I can cut in a day at least with the hardwood that grows around here. 
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

redprospector

14000' is a darn good day in anybody's book.
20 years ago, when I was falling for the mill here, if you couldn't put 10 to 12,000' on the ground in a day you'd likely starve. But that was in softwoods, pecker poles mostly. I've seen a lot of guy's that were pretty fair at putting them where they wanted, give up and go to carpentering for a living. We were paid by the thousand, so it gave good incentive to be fast. The saw boss, and cat boss gave good incentive to be accurate. Fast & accurate, that was the key.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

David-L

Every once and awhile the powers that be line up just right. Always good when that happens. Wheres he from.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

PAFaller

Thats darn good production, especially when done right. Ive seen guys that can lay a lot of wood down in a day, but its such a rats nest that the skidding takes 5 times longer than it should. A guy that can produce volume and make the skidder productive is definitely a keeper.
It ain't easy...

thecfarm

I have talked to guys that can cut alot of wood. But they was the type that I would not want to be around them. They would drop a tree right on ya.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RayMO

Why would you be close enough to a man dropping trees for him to fall one on you  8) ;D 8)
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

rick f

The day he cut 14K feet about how many  trees was that? Does he limb the wood and buck on the yard?  Great production from just trying to get what his dutys are.

Thanks, Rick
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Magicman

Yup, it ain't bragging if you can do it.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

RayMO,running a skidder maybe? Forwarder. I know the way most work,cut in one area,skidder,forwarder comes into that area while the cutter is off in another area.But just saying if both happened to working close together,the cutter jumping and bulling would drop a tree on ya. That's how some talk.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: PAFaller on January 24, 2014, 05:15:18 PM
Thats darn good production, especially when done right. Ive seen guys that can lay a lot of wood down in a day, but its such a rats nest that the skidding takes 5 times longer than it should. A guy that can produce volume and make the skidder productive is definitely a keeper.
yup, had a guy like that.....he had to go some where else.

CX3

I don't really know how many trees it was. I average 70bf per log and I'd say 4logs to the tree . So 280 per tree.

14400/280 is around 51 trees.

His job is to fall, measure, and top in woods. Skidder operator bucks up on landing. And he obviously needs to keep his tools in working order
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!