iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain jacks what's everyone using?

Started by PaYoungBuck, January 23, 2014, 05:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaYoungBuck

Looking at new chin jacks. Looking for input what's everyone's thoughts on the screw type? I've never used one compared to the jack style. Thanks

Maine logger88

I have the screw type it works great as long as you have a impact gun to run it its a little slow if you have to use a ratchet when I tighten chains at the woodlot I use my Milwaukee 1/2 inch drive impact it will suck the chains right into the tire!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

treechopper40

the screw type jacks work good but slow with a ratchet and you don't want to put a impact on them it will strip the threads and ruin it I use the kind that is made from a hi-lift jack it works great and the biggest thing is to keep them off the ground and out of the dirt and mud this applys to any chain jack its easy to throw it on the ground buts its better to set it on the blade or tire of the skidder hope this helps
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

Maine logger88

I've had mine 3 years and I've always used an impact on it I'm sure your right that they can strip tho
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Mark K

I have the hi lift jack type. Works great. Same as said above, keep them out of the mud or it'll bind up.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

smwwoody

I have both and rarely use the screw type
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

snowstorm

when putting chains on lay them out with the rings or studs up hock a chain to them and run the other end up over the tire putting the end under the tire. then drive ahead. it will pull the chains all the way around the tire

1270d

We use the high lift type.  Just don't get too aggressive or you'll snap it.

BargeMonkey

The jack style is great for tightening on the header with no power. We also have a screw tightener, and yes after mauling it with the impact time after time you will destroy the threads. 20.00 for a piece of rod and 50.00 to local machinist and your back in business. Just watch out going crazy with the jack style, heard of a few guys waking up on the floor after they tried to get to much.

plasticweld

I built mine. using 2x2 square inch tube about 2 feet long. I welded a nut on one end for a piece of 3/4 threaded rod. then got a piece of square tube that just fit inside the 2x2 on one end I then welded large washer for the rod to fit through. Then welded a up part of a u bolt that is made to hook into the chain. I can use an impact or just my 3/4 ratchet to tighten the chains. I can grab a span of about 1 foot and compress. it lets me get my chains on so they are banjo string tight. I can post up a picture if someone is interested. I have had it for many years and it is a tough durable tool that cost just a couple of buck to make..Bob 

coxy

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 23, 2014, 08:39:15 PM
The jack style is great for tightening on the header with no power. We also have a screw tightener, and yes after mauling it with the impact time after time you will destroy the threads. 20.00 for a piece of rod and 50.00 to local machinist and your back in business. Just watch out going crazy with the jack style, heard of a few guys waking up on the floor after they tried to get to much.
I never told you about that :laugh: :laugh:     that's why I use the screw tightener 

PaYoungBuck

Looks to be about split even. I've used the jack style before quite a bit but never the screw type. The jack style can be a real pain on the inside chain on a jd. I was just worried the screw type wouldn't get them as tight. Or hold up

coxy

Quote from: PaYoungBuck on January 23, 2014, 09:42:05 PM
Looks to be about split even. I've used the jack style before quite a bit but never the screw type. The jack style can be a real pain on the inside chain on a jd. I was just worried the screw type wouldn't get them as tight. Or hold up
screw type will get them as tight as you want them ;D

Thank You Sponsors!