iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should I take this job?

Started by Qweaver, December 16, 2013, 12:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

One thing for sure, a WPF, and 2 guys, with a big log like that. You can cut a lot of lumber in an hour. And that's counting getting the mill set up around the log. So I'm sure he's going to get value for his $ there. No other portable mill is going to do the job better.

I'd suggest you ask the customer to help offload too. It's your off loader that does most of the work, and sometimes having two guys helps a LOT. If you have to stop sawing to help the off loader, you are loosing production.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom the Sawyer

Qweaver,

Is it worth it?  What does red oak sell for in your area?  Figuring a 44"x8' log and a 40"x10' log you should get about 1500 board feet.  If mill run red oak sells for $2 then he is looking to gain $3000 worth of lumber.  If you charge a total of $60 p/hr, that is $480 for an 8 hour day - $960 for two days.  Even if the red oak was only worth $1 he should come out way ahead.   smiley_thumbsup

It's his log, on his land, and he has a big tractor... schedule the job when he has the log pulled up onto level ground.  Anything more that you do isn't milling; its logging or skidding, etc., requires different equipment, and should be priced separately if he can't do the work.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Ianab

Two big logs like that you should be able to take care of in a day. One in the morning, have a break and some lunch,  and one in the afternoon  ;)

As long as your off bearers can keep up of course....

By Tom's maths, that would be ~32 cents a bd/ft, which is pretty good price.  Smaller logs you wont get as much production as you spend 1/2 your time with the mill stopped, loading the next matchstick. But with a big log, you are just hauling board after board.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nomad

I agree with the others (and evidently your customer.)  This should be two distinct jobs.  One for moving the logs, and one for sawing them.  If he can move the logs, great!  All you have to do is saw.  If he can't, you need to reach an agreement with him on what you will charge to move them independent from what you will charge to saw them.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!