iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

...cats in the cradle

Started by tractorhead9542, March 01, 2015, 10:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tractorhead9542

Hello all.
So after some frustrating cold past few weeks, I have been sealing up drafts and such around the house. I found one of the biggest being the plastic drain tile that the pex tubes are in buried from boiler to house. No problem- lets jam some insulation in there right? OK. So I open up the back of the boiler to find most of the insulation around the boiler had been pulled down and made into a cat bed/sauna! I had noticed a cat of mine that would come and go from underneath and knew he had been 'shacking up' in it but *DanG! No wonder my boiler could barely make it through the night. After a big bag of R-13, some sheet metal, screws, and some choice words... Wow, it held over night and less than a 10 degree drop to the house. I always thought it was strange that this outdoor cat never lost weight in the winter, he's a fatty. I 've heard of animals living in wood burners, what a mess!
Saws: Stihl 015, 036, MS250 (2), MS362, MS461, MS660. Equipment: Northern 30 ton splitter, Ford 340B, Gehl 3935 skid, 2004 Ford F-350 DRW, and a lot of Allis-Chalmers!

drobertson

sounds like a good fix!  one needed for sure!  cold up there,, we had a cat years ago found way in and through the floor insulation in our trailer house,  then one night, late that night, I heard it, between the wall in behind the plumbing of the bath tub, pulled the access panel and there is snowball!  crazy cat, he was a good one, lived to be 19 years old,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

r.man

I had a stray cat in my boiler this winter. I felt sorry for it so I left it alone but then found out it  had destroyed the insulation at the back of the boiler. It sleeps elsewhere now.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

bandmiller2

Cats can sense minute differences in temperature. My cat Mario won't go out if below 20 f don't know how he can tell from the sofa. A plumber used to bring his old cat to calls where their was a leak in cement slab radiant heat. He would turn the cat loose in the room and shut the door. Fifteen minutes later the cat would be asleep right over the leak. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

white pine

Yup, our cats do the same.  Our lower level has 3 zones of off peak electric heat under the slab, 2 of which are burned out  >:(  and every now and then I see a cat laying on the section of family room floor that is "good".  ;D

Tom L

cats or electricians all the same,
I had a guy run some wires to my garage this summer, he took out all the insulation I had between an old chimney and some framing in the basement. to get to the incoming house service, left 4 areas 6" x 24" all around the chimney that let all the heat from my downstairs stove up thru the attic.

it was in a hard to see spot, he never put the insulation back. now it is all plugged up and re insulated, cranks up to 75 degrees down there now.

DDDfarmer

If I had found a cat had destroyed the insulation under the back of the furnace,  might have shown him how warm it was in the front  :snowball:
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

tractorhead9542

DDDFarmer: that's awful!  I honestly hope this was a joke. 
Saws: Stihl 015, 036, MS250 (2), MS362, MS461, MS660. Equipment: Northern 30 ton splitter, Ford 340B, Gehl 3935 skid, 2004 Ford F-350 DRW, and a lot of Allis-Chalmers!

Thank You Sponsors!