iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Covered bridge damaged by semi

Started by Don P, February 07, 2024, 08:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

It was a couple of months ago but I found out today, the covered bridge west of Peru/ Starved Rock in IL was heavily damaged when a semi drove through it. I'm sort of at a loss, the truck kept going after hitting the portal;

Latest On Crash That Damaged Historic Covered Bridge in Bureau County | Classic Hits 103.9 WLPO | starvedrock.media

Tubalcain put up a temporary video shot last week showing recent temporary roof repairs. It was hard to tell if the damage is deeper than the roof, hopefully not. but I imagine the truck was off by weight as well.

Old Greenhorn

This is why we cant have nice things. "kept on going" ?! Really?  smiley_monkeyfight stupid_smiley say_what
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

She drove completely through it. As the roof of the trailer collapsed the damage to the roof of the bridge decreased, you can see it in some of the shots in this video;

PoginyHill

There is a small covered bridge in Lydon, VT that has box trucks driving through and damaging it almost monthly. Invariably the drivers say, "I was just following my GPS". It's so common now, it has its own YouTube channel:
White Box Truck Hitting the bridge (youtube.com)

Same answer semi-truck drivers give who attempt to pass through a state road, "smugglers' notch," despite countless lighted signs saying, "no trucks - you will get stuck". This happens maybe 2-3 times each summer (the road is closed in the winter) blocking the road 3+ hours to back them out.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

rusticretreater

We have a covered bridge in the area.  There is a huge warning sign and the town council elevated the fine for trucks on the road and printed the amount on the sign.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Southside

Run a tin can opener steel beam horizontally 20' before the bridge at the bridge clearance height.  Photos can still be taken but when the fool arrives they will get a sudden welcome. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I can't believe the lack of decision making ability of a lot of these truck drivers. How they ever got a license is beyond me!

Anyone that has drove a truck has made mistakes. I know I have. But to know you can't fit somewhere, and just go through anyways...there are so many videos of drivers doing this kind of stuff. Many of the trucks have Swift on the side.
Too many irons in the fire

sprucebunny

There is a covered bridge nearby ( Jackson, NH) that gets hit about yearly. Lots of signs and the "main" road goes past it not thru it.... There's several others close by but they don't seem to get hit ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

barbender

One of my favorites, not a bridge but drivers wanting to get from say Casper, WY to Tensleep on the other side of the Bighorns. Google maps will try to route you through Crazy Woman Canyon. Now I myself would highly recommend Crazy Woman Canyon. In a 4x4, preferably coming from the top down off of Hwy 16. But these folks aren't going for the views, they're taking the shortest route that Google directs them. Going up with a small camper in tow, you might make it if you're a heck of a driver in spite of your stupidity. A longer camper, you're not going to make it. And the several tractor trailers are a hard no🤷🤷 Doesn't stop them from trying though.

barbender

Screenshot_20240207_161055_Maps.jpg
I see Google finally fixed it. Red is where the Crazy Woman Canyon Road is.

beenthere

Crazy Woman Canyon.. trashed a bit since I was there in Feb 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJlt9AXXFrY
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

This is one of our bad roads every now and then a truck will try it to miss the scales at the bottom on the interstate, there is another worse wauy but it requires a wrecker at each end;
Rolling Down Fancy Gap by J.R. Williams | ReverbNation

In truck driving school with us green we would go to the top of Fancy Gap and turn around, top of lovers Leap, Through the tunnels and turn around.  Part of it was about not straying too far from the state lines but there's a bunch of poor ways off the hill  :).

Thank You Sponsors!