iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air drying aromatic cedar

Started by woodcat47, February 28, 2016, 03:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodcat47

I am starting a small side business with a manual mill. I will be cutting mainly cedar and was wondering how long it takes to air dry 1x, 2x and 4x lumber. I am in Texas near DFW if that helps and will be cutting mostly green trees. I won't be grading the lumber, most will be used for my own home, but some will be sold.
Owner Kelly Hanna Woodworks and soon....Texas Red's Sawmill
Deck Builder serving Dallas and East Texas since 1977

Ianab

Good news is, cedar is generally easy and fast to dry.  Maybe 6 weeks for 1" boards? A bit longer for the heavier stuff.

Moisture meter is the real test.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

With fans, maybe even 4 weeks to air dry 1" lumber under an open shed.  2" lumber will take about 2 to 2.5 times longer to dry than 1" lumber
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodcat47

Cool, thanks for the answers....Moisture meter sounds like a good investment for me.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you dry this lumber when it is really hot outside, the heat will evaporate some of the aroma, making the neighborhood smell nice, but the interior of your closets will not be as aromatic...so keep it as cool as possible when drying.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Cedarman

We use a pinless Wagner moisture meter.  Not calibrated.  But when it says 12% it is about as air dried as it will get.  When it reads 8 to 10% in the drying room, is where we want it.
Green heartwood is about 25 to 30%.  Sapwood pegs the needle.  Have used it for 20 years.  Showing a customer the MC makes them feel a lot more comfortable about the wood they are buying when they want it dry.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DelawhereJoe

You could possibly make a small green house to help dry faster, just remember to let it vent off the moisture .
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

yukon cornelius

I have seen a few issues when drying eastern red cedar. Fast drying can cause big cracking issues. Also avoid UV exposure all you can. Even fluorescent lights can cause quick discoloration. If stacked uneven or an item on top will cause a "shadow" of where the item was. Cedar seems to shock quickly in temp shifting before it is really dry.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

woodcat47

Thanks for the tips! While were are on the land we're on now, I will have the wood drying in full shade. Later I am not sure about the UV exposure. Eventually I will have a drying shed.

Cedarman

Greying and fading caused by sunlight can be removed by planning 1/16" off.  Fading occurs just at the surface and does not go deep.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!