iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

yellowjackets

Started by xlogger, June 14, 2016, 06:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I put in a new load of maple yesterday and was setting the controls on my Nyle and bang, right on my ear. YJ all around me. They are in my outside box that holds the controller. I tried spraying some spray under the roof I have on it with no luck. Just makes them mad. Set a metal bucket of smoking wood under it but wind blew it everywhere except straight up to the box.
Wonder if Stan has a solution for this :D.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

thecfarm

Can you wait for darkness? There will be one or two at the entry hole as watch dogs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Buy another controller  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

I did wait till later last night to spray again. They are under the tin roof over the box, on top of the box. So I sprayed under it but not sure where they are at in there. It's about an inch opening they go in and out along the box maybe 30" long. They seem to go in on one side mostly so I spray most on that side.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

xlogger

Danny if I do would you come and exchange it for me ;D

red

There are lots of yellowjacket traps . Most of them redneck ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

sandsawmill14

just wait till frost  ;D     i have tied a rag on the end of a stick soaked in gas and held it under the hole where they come out then beat on the box to stir them up it will get most of them as they come out :) wont work if they have another exit though :(
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

xlogger

I insulated the box with that 2" blue foam, I'm scared the gas might eat away the foam.
I'd hate to burn my new kiln down >:(

sandsawmill14

:D :D :D yep that would be a down side but you wouldnt have any more yellow jackets  ;D

DDW_OR

i put out about 10 of these traps
http://www.rescue.com/product/reusable-yellowjacket-trap

and one or 2 of these fly traps

http://www.rescue.com/product/reusable-fly-trap
used one at a camp site that was over run with flys. after 2 days they where all in the bottle, had to empty it twice.
"let the machines do the work"

GAB

xlogger:
What are you using for a spray?
I'd be using carburator cleaner and clean out their clocks.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sandsawmill14

you might could borrow an idea from the personal carry thread and shoot them with rat shot ;D

ok now seriously i have not found anything that works as well as gas or ether but you have to let it  dry/evaporate completely before you can use any electrical equipment or it could turn out bad :o :)

xlogger

I'm afraid that carb cleaner or gas might eat up the insulation boards that I think they might be in or under. I've been using a wasp spray and it does not seem to kill them. They are in the far end of the box not near the door that I open to see the temps. I open it slowly twice today to check on WB and DB and they left me along, did I say slowly  :D.  I keep my Moisture Meter in there but took it out today. We might have to just get along.

Den Socling

I have drenched them with spray and they didn't drop. I suggest another brand.

Tree Dan

a can of hornet and wasp blaster, Spray them at night. ;D
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

pineywoods

Just stick the business end of your shop vac hose close to where they exit the box. Leave the vac running and go away for a while. Gets any coming out AND those that were out foraging when they try to come home...
8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ScottAR

There's a brand of aerosol called Wasp Freeze a friend in the pest control biz put me onto.  They drop right out of the air.  Might consider some pesticide dust inside the box once this nest is cleared to kill off any  future squatters.

There are several online stores selling pro level products these days.  Makes the homeowner stuff look pretty wimpy. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Chop Shop

I enjoy painting them.    Poof of spray paint and they just fly downward pretty fast!

Its kinda like shooting skeet but mo redneck!

xlogger

Quote from: Tree Dan on June 14, 2016, 09:09:08 PM
a can of hornet and wasp blaster, Spray them at night. ;D
that's what I've tried night morning and during day
Quote from: pineywoods on June 14, 2016, 09:12:11 PM
Just stick the business end of your shop vac hose close to where they exit the box. Leave the vac running and go away for a while. Gets any coming out AND those that were out foraging when they try to come home...
8)
Good idea and also was suggested blowing seven dust in there

YellowHammer

I've killed many a wasp nest with a CO2 fire extinguisher.  Freezes them in midair.  Pretty fun too.   I don't know f it would work if you can't spray directly into the nest.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

I got brave last night and looked close where they are at. It seem that they have a nest of some sorts in a corner that I've not sprayed straight on about a foot away from where I've been spraying. So I gave them a good soaking with the wasp and hornet spray. We'll see how it works this morning. I took a picture of the control box and got it in my galley but having trouble moving it over here. Sent Jeff a PM maybe he can help.
I got some good ideas from several of you but was busy hauling wood yesterday and didn't get around to any of them.

DDW_OR

xlogger, is this the photo from your alum?
maybe add some screen door mesh to the rafter gap once the guests are evicted

xlogger

That's the pic I tried posting. For some reason when I tried opening my pictures in my folder it when back to my folder on my computer. I'm about as bad as it gets on computers so who know? I've done it before but couldn't this time. But for a happier note I got the yellowjackets 8)

DDW_OR

Quote from: xlogger on June 16, 2016, 07:17:42 PM
......... I got the yellowjackets 8)
THAT IS WHAT COUNTS!! smiley_clapping fudd-smiley

crazy

We get yellow jackets closer to the coast.  In the central valley, we get wasps.  They build their nests everywhere.  Wasp spray is too expensive if you need to use 4 or 5 cans when you're working.  I can't remember where I got the idea but I started using Dawn dish soap in one of those garden sprayers.  I think they are $5-10 at Wallyworld.  I buy the Dawn from Costco because it is cheaper.  I use about a 1/2 cup of soap and fill the rest with water.  It doesn't drop them out of the sky like the expensive stuff but there might be some satisfaction to a sadist watching them die slower.  I think it chokes them.  All I know is it is probably safer than what comes in a can. 

Nothing to wake you up faster than getting stung a few times because you climbed into a car a brushed up against a nest and made them mad. smiley_bounce

Thank You Sponsors!