iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Care to share Pictures & costs to build your Solar kiln?

Started by Logs_2_Lumber, July 09, 2016, 04:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logs_2_Lumber

We are new to milling and are thinking seriously about drying. Due to costs we are leaning toward starting with a solar kiln. We would like to have the capacity to dry in two seperate chambers, with at least 3-4000 BF in each.

We would love to see different ideas others have pursued. Please share your pictures, costs to build and any ideas you have regarding what you'd do differently or what has worked well.  Thank you to all!

2016 LT35HD

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

A solar kiln needs 1 sq ft for every 10 BF of lumber, so 4000 BF needs 400 sq ft of roof area.

As a solar kiln gets larger in capacity, you need to make it longer and not wider. As the kiln gets wider, you would need much more fan power and larger vents. So a 3000 BF kiln would be best if about 34' long. You would need four.

You would also be betting your business on the amount of sunshine.

So, would you air dry first?  That will allow you to dry a 4/4 load in two to three weeks of sunny and warm weather.

Overall, based on what I think your annual production will be, and how far north you are,  I think a solar operation is not the best fit. DH will likely be better.  I have worked with and been supportive of solar kilns since 1961.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Logs_2_Lumber

Thank you,  valuable info there!

We are up North no doubt... does it help that we are a "semi arid" climate and experience appx 200 days of sunshine annually? Average July temps are 81 degrees.

Yes, we plan to have several drying sheds to pre-dry before moving to kiln.
2016 LT35HD

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

From October through March, the sun is low and day light hours are limited. In the summer, you have longer daylight, but the sun is quite far north so you do not get a lot of solar energy input into the dryer. If this was a hobby, then drying time is not critical. For a business, time is money.

The shed is awesome.

I know where you are as I had relatives in Wenatchee.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!