iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firearms Deer Season is here!!!

Started by ADAMINMO, November 14, 2008, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADAMINMO

Well our fall firearms deer season begins tomorrow.  smiley_antlers I am excited. 8) 8) 8) I will be taking my kids out to teach them a little about hunting and the outdoors. With all the acorns around here(White Oak) we should do well in the woods.Hopefully when I get back on here Wednesday I can post some pictures. Everyone please feel free to post pictures of your trophys here as well. We can make this the trophy picture thread , Hunting pics and stories thread. Tell us your story or show of yours or you kids or anyones trophy. I will add some pictures Wednesday when I return to work.

*****Please don't put any bloody pictures if you can help it. Have some respect for the animal and the people on the forum. Thanks*****

Jeff

Our season begins in the morning as well. Tammy is on her way here to hunt for the first time in many years. I'm tickled about that. She has a doe permit and I have been passing up deer with the bow at her stand in hopes they will be there for her in the morning. If its nasty out I will sit with her in the constructed blind and if its not raining I'll sit in a brush blind I built a couple hundred yards away.
This will be the first time she has got to hunt on her own property. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

I really want to learn to hunt, and how to clean and quarter up the meat.  We don't have any deer around here but there is a winter season for moose.  Some friends have told me I could tag along with them (I think it is in Jan or Feb) but there is something about hunting at -30, -40, and colder temps that just doesn't sit well with me... !!

Adam, your kids are truly lucky to have a dad who has the know how and the inclination to teach them this stuff.  Y'all have fun out there.  I look forward to hearing stories.  :)

trapper

my 30 year old son got 2 does with the bow on my place last friday.  In my area we need to shoot a antlerless deer in order to get a permit to shoot a buck
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

CLL

Season starts tomorrow in Missouri (gun), been hard at spotting and watching as I also bow hunt.
Yesterday had a small 8 point almost run in the pop-up with me, he was chasing a doe. Funny thing was he was doing all the chasing and there was a nice 8 point and a big 11 point just waiting to run him off. Should be good, as I saw 16 deer yesterday and 10 today, both days was
less then 3 hours time.
Too much work-not enough pay.

WH_Conley

He was gonna get a suprise as soon as she stoped and said common. Kinda like the old bull and the young bull. :D
Bill

Norm

Our season doesn't start until early December but my SIL sent me this picture of a young buck taken off their farm this morning.

In Iowa it is illegal to take a true albino deer.

SwampDonkey

Wow,  :o I think it's momma got too close to the Holstein bull. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

Nice piebald. 8)

Our season here has started as the wettest in my memory.  It has rained cats and dogs all day here.  Starting tomorrow is snow so things are looking much better.

I am waiting to hear if Tammy got one today. ???
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jeff

Tammy left her blind for only 1 hour today to go visit Catherine and thier new puppy. While she was gone I sat in her blind. Thats when the big doe crossed. :D  She'll get one tomorrow. (hopefully)  :)

CLL

Norm, that buck is illegal in Missouri, as we have a new rule this year that says a buck must have at least 4 points on one side. Neat deer though, especially if he would have been a nice 8-10 point to mount.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Larry

Norm, I've never ever saw a deer like that.  I would think a sighting would be something like one out of a million.

Deer season in Arkansas opened last Saturday.  Kathy won't let me hunt as she has names for most of em and feeds the DanG things apples.

Me and my nephew have land in north Missouri.  Nephew called this morning at 8:30 and said him and his buddy had 3 does on the ground out of a 13 deer herd.  Just now got a call and he said he got a 10 pointer out of a herd of somewhere tween 30 and 40.  Told em I need pictures for the FF or it never happened...will see.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

LeeB

I went this morning and had a nice buck walk up on me. I never did manage to get him in my sights good before I sneezed and off he went. I took a doe this evening. Three of them came running out and one stoped right in front of me. After I got to the house I found out they were runing from my son.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bibbyman

Our poaching season ended Saturday at sunup.  I've heard a lot of suspicious shots from a high powered rifle right about sundown or after sundown for the last month or so. 

This past week it sounded like a rifle range here and there around our farm.  Lots of 10 shot bursts.

Our opening day was cold with rain and mist of snow here and there with winds up to 30 mph.  I bet more deer got shot out of a truck window than by any other means.

Today was better.  Sunny with light winds.  Crisp and cool this morning warming to around 60 this afternoon.  I didn't hear many shots.

I've not went out yet.  But I've had my 1895 Marlin 45/70 leaning in the corner of the sawshed.  We often see deer right there on our lot.  Every time I step out of the shed,  I scan the woods in back and up in the north end of the lot where they cross or stand to watch us.  None yet.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Haven't seen a deer nor track around here since last fall. I used to see mostly does in 3's or 4's and solitary bucks the past few years. Last winter pretty much did them in , in my area with 12 feet of snow - 6 feet of depth.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rbhunter

If the deer was taken during youth season here in Missouri I am pretty sure it would be legal. I would have to double check but I do not believe the antler restriction applies to the youth season. I bring this up because of the youth in the picture.

Randy
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Jeff

I've only saw one deer so far and this is the third day. I did come over and get in the elevated blind this morning because the wolf howling was unnervingly close. The first howl at day break was far enough away to only cause a few shivers. The second had me listening for foot steps through the frozen tag alders.

SwampDonkey

Yah got a gun ain't ya? Usually that's enough to direct the fear the other way. :D

Warbird

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 17, 2008, 10:34:56 AM
Yah got a gun ain't ya? Usually that's enough to direct the fear the other way. :D

And it'd be nice to get a wolf pelt or two.  ;)

Michigan Mike

Shot a nice 8pt opening day. 2 1/2 year old 15 inch spread  not real heavy mass on the head bones. Probably 130 to 140 lb nice southern Michigan deer. Warbird Michigan wolves are protected I hear some even have radio trackers  if it quits moveing for any length of time they come looking for it. Not the way I want to meet my local CO.

Jeff

we're not allowed to disturb the DNR's pets or they hang your pelt up.

SwampDonkey

Well, if they are protected that's another matter. If I need protection from the protected, that's another matter to. ;)

In all seriousness though I have worked among coyotes and wolves and never been threatened. Wolves are even more shy than coyotes in my experience.

I don't remember anyone talking about coyotes around here until 30 years ago. The old guides never mentioned them in any writings and history of this area.

Warbird

Quote from: Jeff on November 17, 2008, 11:16:07 AM
we're not allowed to disturb the DNR's pets or they hang your pelt up.

Doh.  Sorry to hear that.  Up here, it's an entirely different matter. 

Jeff

DANG!  Why did they start putting button Safetys on Marlin Lever actions? That Dang coyote dont know how close he come to getting his hair parted. The pedators are running amuck! He ran down the powerline like he owned the place. No wonder were not seeing any deer.

SwampDonkey

No Deer. No Bear. Time to come home.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!