iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stumped by a bird !!!! Unstumped ... Osprey !!!!

Started by isawlogs, October 18, 2009, 10:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Ya this bird has me stumped as I can't find hin/her in my books .. or don't know how to find it ...

It stands over a foot high has a wing spand of nearly three feet if not better , has black under wing and a beige belly. I have seen him/her/it twice both times along the river sitting on a limb/branch.
    I know the pic aint the best but he never let me git close enough for a better one . I don't have one of it in flight it alos flies with wings in a W alot like a heron would ???  Those digital cameras make that type of pic almost impossible.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

It looks like the eyes are in the front? If so, its a predator, so look for eagles falcons or hawks. It may be a juvenile of the species making it look different then anything pictured in your books. Look for similarities to start. To me it looks like an osprey
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I just ran a google image search. Definitely an Osprey.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Shotgun

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Dan_Shade

i thought that ospreys were way down south this time of year.  Like in south america south.  Am I wrong?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Norm

Yep Osprey, we get them in the spring and fall moving through. They hunt our pond and it is fun to watch them try it as the pond is not really big enough for them to do it easily. After catching one they'll fly up into one of the big red oaks that border it and eat. The giveaway is their wing shape, reminds me of a f4u.

pigman

I saw several ospreys flying over my farm last week. They always flew in pairs. They sure looked different from Marcel's picture. They ones I saw had twin tiltrotors. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

I can see the osprey hover over the river where I work.  It's neat watching them hovering and diving for fish. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Osprey, they stick around here as long as the water is open since they hunt fish. We have a lot of nesting platforms on power lines and river fronts.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

That is the bird , I saw it another time and, of course had no camera, but was much like the google image , took me a while still to get the French name for Osprey , they are called Balbuzard Pêcheur I could of googled it but that takes half the fun out .

It is the first time I see one here and close enough to take a pic  Thanks
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ron Scott

Ditto! on it being an osprey, good description.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!