iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forward feed on LT40

Started by Jerry, January 25, 2011, 07:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

My forward feed quit working I thought it might be the drum switch. I cleaned the contacts and put fresh contact grease on them still won't work. The reverse works fine. The forward feed used to have a whistle or whine when put into feed ,now dosen't make the noise. Was wondering what to look for next.  Thanks.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

sawman

might check the speed control next.
don't have my manual handy but i think it may cover how to do this in the troubleshooting section.
seems that you will need an ohmeter to check it.
if memory serves me correctly
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

pineywoods

If it was working ok with no problems and then quit, probably a circuit board in the control box. Another possible is brushes in the feed motor.I'd call WM, they can talk you through a checkout procedure. On the older mills, the inside of that box can get a mite crowded.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MartyParsons

What year LT40? 2002 and newer it would have a modulated board with led lights. OV ( Over Volt) OL ( Over Load)   In and out lights check the feed rate control, they should get bright and dim and you turn the knob. If the OV light is on the board is defective, OL light there could be a bind. There should be a diagnosis page in the manual if you have a newer mill 2002+.
Marty
Reverse is directly powered through the drum switch.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Jerry

Thanks fellow sawers it is a 2007 LT40G28. I finally found the trouble shooting page with the instructions to check it out will check it tomorrow. I will let you know what I find thanks again.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

Bandmill Bandit

Had the same problem last spring. Likely the little forward reverse control board. It is an easy change but I did have to swap the leads on my feed motor as the new one swapped the polarity for some reason.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

terrifictimbersllc

Think it might be something in your forward solenoid not contacting right, happened to me once, while diagnosing it with WM on the phone,  got it moving again and haven't had the problem in over a year since.  Carry  spares, though, then and now.   Remember needing a 12V continuity light tester, which I didn't have then, but my customer had one.  This was to test and rule out the board problem.  As I turned the feed knob the light got brighter.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

MartyParsons

LT40 would not have a solenoid. Only a super mill has solenoids on power feed.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

pa_of_6

The whistle or wine is normal on them mills if it is working correctly.

Jerry

Called Woodmizer this morning and my circut board went bad got another comming thanks fellow sawers. Hope to be sawing again Friday.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

ronwood

Jerry,

I had the board go out on my LT40 also some time ago. Good luck on the repair.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Jerry

Replaced the circut board this afternoon and everything is working again.  Thanks again. Should have read the trouble shooting section first, but my first thought was that someone on the board has had the same problem. Anyway thank you all.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

Magicman

Sometimes your problem may be someone else's solution.  Keep talking and asking.  We all learn.

And thanks for coming back and giving us an update on your fix.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!