iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got acorns?

Started by Jeff, December 07, 2014, 02:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I've never had so many acorns come off these trees. I picked up two barrels full, over 100 gallons, before I went up for deer camp, and these fell while I was gone. They will just stay there till spring.

Lots of acorns: http://youtu.be/IgrsNEnYgK4
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trapper

Did you take them along to feed the deer?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Southside

If you know anyone with pigs they love acorns. Heavy crop here this year as well.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Some of ours are loaded and some bare.  For example the White Oak beside the drive was full and the back yard Cherrybark Oak was empty.  The Water Oak in the Straw Field is empty and it is generally a heavy producer.  Kinda strange.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

We had a bunch of them here at The Beach this year, too. And some trees in areas we were clearing this fall had some of the biggest acorns I've ever seen. Going to be a cold one. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

No Deer around your house Jeff?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I guess it was an average year for the acorns. Not a lot,but enough for the deer to paw through the snow for. One year the deer was pawing beside the driveway for the acrons and my friends thought I was digging out there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

curdog

We had a huge acorn crop this year,  the last 2-3 years they were extremely scarce.  It was like walking on marbles when the chestnut oaks were dropping.

Chuck White

Lynn sent me a box of White Oak acorns a few years ago.

All were planted and quite a few are still doing well, but about half didn't show up in the Spring.

Sure would like to get some more sometime.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 07, 2014, 04:32:36 PM
No Deer around your house Jeff?

Nope, but lots of black squirrels and rabbits.  I need a kid I can give a sling shot to. Nothing more fulfilling than shooting acorns at black squirrels with a sling shot :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on December 07, 2014, 05:52:23 PMSure would like to get some more sometime.
Too late for this year Chuck.  You gotta get them as soon as they hit the ground because their normal is to immediately send out a root.  I'll try to remember for next year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Cool.

Lynn, ya going to the Harrison this year?

We're looking forward to meeting a bunch of "forumites" this year!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gspren

Back when I raised goats I could tell which tree was dropping the most cause that's where the goats were.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WmFritz

I should've taken pictures, but I noticed the acorns hanging on my Red Oaks like grapes. I've never seen it like this.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

QuoteLynn, ya going to the Harrison this year?
Well next year, but yes, planning to.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!