iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

getting my 1972 Franklin Fowarder overhauled

Started by Blue Sky, October 04, 2012, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Sky

I bought this machine as is in 1992, from a fella who brought it up from down South.  It was full of Long Leaf pine needles.  Over the years, I have maintained it as well as I could till this past Spring when the rebuilt actuator motor on the Brute Husky loader self destructed.  Try to find a swing motor for an antique.  I looked.  Finally got put in touch with some wizards from Bellows Falls, Vt., who took on the challenge.  Well, what started out as a $9,000.00 job is now at $23,000 and counting.  I will post a picture soon.  Totally overhauled with a swing motor located somewhere out West. 35 year old new motor. $11,953.00 to totally overhaul the 453 Detroit, $3K for the tranny, etc,etc,etc.

Autocar

Sounds like your going all the way, repairs all at once. I had my 4/53 rebuilt a fews years ago then the Clark 3 speed transmission last year. Then this past week the fiber gear on the flywheel gave up the ghost that drives the tork converter. When I did the engine rebuild, Snowstorm said to me [ You better rebuild the tork converter while you have the engine out ] I didn't listen, so when it went out I didn't want to pull the radiator and engine so I pulled the firewall out between the engine and the cab and set it up on the top of the transmission to make the repairs. Four days to get it apart and two so far going back togather. Your a smart fellow doing it all at one time. Snowstorm got a pretty good laugh when I told him about it Next time I will leason to him  ;D
Bill

lumberjack48

This is the way to go, you' ll have a better then new machine, and no computers to put up with, old school tech, it'll be around another 40 yrs. I give you a smiley_clapping
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

alvalen18

I am interested in buying a Franklin 170 skidder reconditioned with a Detroit 4/53 series but I am afraid that the factory no longer exist. Where can I get parts for it?

gjersy

Yep you should have a new awesome machine! Looking forward to seeing those pics. My dad bought his 1st 120 Franklin packer backer in I think 1968? i started running it at 12, he still uses it. Between dad, brother and I we have 4 of them, i used to hate them as the old girl made me deaf and frostbit lol. But i went back to my roots & bought one for $8500, last summer, with a supposedly rebuilt perkins (quieter), professionally built cab (warmth), along with a by-pass bucket! Couldn't pass it up it's a great backup for my Valmet forwarder, 2nd gear is popping out, and I have to replace the main and jib pins. Dad's Franklin never broke down much, they seem to be a tuff machine, hope it works out for you.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

alvalen18

Thank you for your comments. I feel that this machine is a good and reliable equipment for tough logging. Have a nice day...

Thank You Sponsors!