iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Historic Logging and Milling Photos

Started by Jeff, October 20, 2002, 01:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

They have one of the loaders at the Lumberman's museum west of Coudersport that was mentioned above.

That place is a nice place to visit.

Fla._Deadheader

Notice all the "scrap" logs in these old photos?? Remember, this is mostly VIRGIN timber. Grandad used to tell about the 18" clear red oak boards he used to haul off the mill and throw into the burn pile. Couldn't GIVE it away, he said ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

CHARLIE

When I worked for the railroad back in the early to mid '60s, we used to haul gondola after gondola full of pine stumps. I was told that they were being shipped up to either Georgia or Tennessee to make gunpowder. I never figured out how they burned so many stumps unless they used some kind of gas furnace with super hot temperatures.  I often wonder if they still use stumps for gunpowder or if they found something else. :P ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Texas Ranger

Charlie, I think that they were being shipped to be distilled for turpines.  If the cellulose was used in gun powder, it was a secondary use.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CHARLIE

You are probably right. I was just repeating what another railroader told me and he was probably guessing. How the cathair did they get turpentine out of those stumps, Don? Do you know?  When I say gondola after gondola of stumps I mean in the hundreds of gondolas. Must've been a lot of land clearing somewhere. Nice to know they had a use for the whole tree.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

As far as I know, they're still making gunpowder from pine stumps. Ther are folks making a living pushing them up and shipping them to Brunswick, Ga., where there is a gunpowder plant. They make pretty good money from it, too.  I think they can only use old growth stumps, so the industry is sort of petering out, around here. I guess, when we run out of old growth pine, we'll have to find a new way to blow ourselves up.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Scott

Early Pettibone Cable Skidder for Tree Lenghth Skidding. Manufactured in Baraga, MI. 1965 Photo.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Scaling a Load of Cedar from National Forest land. St. Ignace, MI; Fall 1966.

~Ron

Corley5

There's a local logger around here that was running a Pettibone just like that one as late as last spring that I know of and I'd bet it's still in the woods working.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Gunpowder? yer DanG tootin'

Hercules Powder Company buys stumps and will stump your land if you have good ones.   There is a lack of big ol' fat lighter stumps like there once was so Hercules has even experimented with injecting trees that are due harvest to try to create a fat stump.  How much success there was, I don't know.  They still have some stump buyers in the woods.  I talked to one the other day in Folkston, Ga.

Hercules Brunswick Plant click for info

Ron Scott

Underwater Logs. Salvaged from North Twin Lake; Phelps, Wisconsin; 1960.

~Ron

Fla._Deadheader

That's exactly what ours look like. Notice the rounded ends. Thats the way they look from the water current, kind of sandblasting the edges. Nice logs !!  Harold
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Harold,

Bet you didnt know that our Ron Scott is an avid diver and the Author of a book on underwater logging. Written in the 60s!

I got me a signed copy and I sure am proud of that!

I hope to get him to give me permission someday to put it on the web.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Any idea where a fella could get a copy of Ron's book? I'd sure like to have one.  Howzabout it, Ron?

Hey, I got an even better idea!  Ron, get back with the publishers and have another printing done...mebbe 5,000 copies, or so.  JeffB could buy'em all and use them for ForestryForum gifts.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Yup. But I'll have to use the DanG bank to do it. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

HEY HEY. I want one of them books too !!!! It's GOTTA be signed. No Ginerical copies fer me, RON. What's the scoop on the name and availability???  Can I get Ron to come down and show me how to do this?? I'm always lookin fer a better way to do things. Why hasn't this news flash appeared sooner??? Youse guys been holdin out on me ??? >:( :o ;) ;) :'( :'( :D :D  Harold
   First, it is ridiculed;

smwwoody

Ok

Where's my book

Did you get them all signed??? :D
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jeff

Woe!
I Don't want this to get out of hand now. I don't know what the availability is of the book if any, or what the price is now.

The Book is Titled
Underwter Logging.
Cornell Maritime Press,Inc.
Currently out of print

Ron Wenrich

It's ranked #561,846 at Amazon.  There are no copies available, but you can put in an order.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tillaway

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Fla._Deadheader

Here's one way of doin it!  Kinda sneaky. Not my way !!

Displaying books where
Author is Cayford, John E.
Title is Underwater Logging / By John E. Cayford and Ronald E. Scott.

New Books: 1 - 1 of 1  
Click on the price to find out more about a book
# Bookseller Notes Price
1 Alibris
[United States] Cambridge, MD Cornell Maritime Press, ill c. 1964 Softcover Print On Demand: 2002 black and white facsimile of original book. Charts and graphics may be obscured or resized to fit pages. No cover art (generic softcover binding). This title may be back ordered. pp. 93. $29.95
( All matching new books shown )

Used Books: 1 - 1 of 1  
Click on the price to find out more about a book
# Bookseller Notes Price
1 AstroLogos Books
via Bibliology AS NEW - Print-to-order B&W REPRINT of original book published: Cambridge MD : Cornell Maritime Press c1964. ill.93 Pages. Expertly printed on acid-free archival quality paper - Softcover perfect bound (or Hardcover Cloth Buckram binding for additional $10.) Charts photographs & graphics may reproduce less than perfectly & may be reduced to fit pages. SPECIAL ORDER Allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. No Refund or Exchange. $36.00
( All matching used books shown )

First, it is ridiculed;

johncinquo

I have used that alibris service a couple of times myself.  They have inventories of book stores all over the world and find the book you want and it is shipped directly to you from the store.  I found a couple books there that were not available anywhere else.  It proved to be a great service, but it could come down the specific store that has the book and how they handle it.  I talked with a guy who was in the Grand Rapids Press a couple years ago who "fished" logs out of the northern great lakes. The water is cold and low oxygen so the logs are preserved well.  It was really neat to see the wood.  They either sold it to high end furniture makers, or super quality veneer makers.  Some of the prices on the logs were amazing, but where are you going to get that type of wood again?  We used to get a couple logs a year out of the Muskegon river, but now if you move a log you will get a ticket and fine.  I still have a couple end marks around somewhere.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Paschale

It's great seeing these old pictures!  Here's one I found on another forum, so it's not copyrighted.  This is what the poster had to say about it:  

I am told by the Kentucky state historian that this picture was taken in the late 30's or early 40's in eastern Kentucky--I don't know the town. We are guessing that the tree is a large poplar or possibly a white oak. There are many records of trees this size taken out of Kentucky and West Virginia in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

SteveS

I recently found an old book of my dads that was titled "Farm Forestry". I thought I would try to share some of the old photos that were in it  I hope I can post the picture all right. This will be my first time to try.

Thank You Sponsors!