iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yarder graveyard pictures

Started by Jeremy_M, March 30, 2009, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy_M

I have been wandering around SW Washington photgraphing old logging equipment, especially old yarders.  More will be added next month as I limited out on my upload amount for March.  They are mostly from the Centralia and Chehalis WA area.  Thanks to the folks that let me wander thru their yards and document this equipment before it all gets scrapped out!
If you go to flikr and do a people search for JeremyM70 you will find my photo set.
Thanks
Jeremy

beenthere

Welcome aboard.

Looked for pics in your gallery here. Didn't find any.

Pic of a few for teasers would be great.

No idea where your flicker is.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeremy_M

Sorry it wouldn't let me upload the flikr link.  I will try to upload some here.  But if you go to Flickr and do a people search on JeremyM70 my slideshow should come up.
Thanks!

Paul_H

Jeremy_M

I like the old logging equipment too.I remember playing on the old donkeys mounted on the sleighs when I was very small.They had only been mothballed 5 years or so then when replaced by the steel spars on tanks and rubber.I can still smell the old grease and gear dope.
My dad had a 3 drum 110 Skagit hand jammer on a sleigh until 1963 when he sent it to SMadill in Naniamo BC to be mounted on a tank and fitted with a steel spar and guyline winches.He ran that until the Spring of 1981.It had the old screwy hooks and D's on the guylines instead of the eyes and shackles.
I worked 3 years on that old girl and got to drag a few turns in with it too but I was usually a riggin rat.
This link shows a few pics of that machine plus a little reflecting on the old 90 footers when a few of them got cut up for scrap a few years ago.Most were perfectly good running machines that would be up for yarding again with a couple days attention but they are probably mini vans now. :-\

Link
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeremy_M

Nice pictures on the link Paul! There are alot of Washington and Madill self-propelled and track mount yarders rusting away in Chehalis.  There is a company there that is selling them for use as drag lines in rock pits.  I met the owner and got tons of pictures of their yard.  I will be uploading them in a couple of days to Flickr as well.  I have uploaded some pictures to the album here as well.

wi woodcutter

WOW Paul that is a great story and pics! I love those old yarders, they are so neat.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Jeremy_M

Uploaded another 80 or so pictures to Flickr tonight. People search for JeremyM70 or do a search for tags "yarder" and they will come up.

Jeff

The purpose of using the Forestry Forum gallery, is so maybe years from now, this thread will still be valid. You may decide to delete your photos next week rendering this thread worthless.  For now I'm going to leave this, and give you a chance to put some photos here, otherwise this thread will be removed. Starting a thread for the purpose of directing to photos elsewhere is against forum rules for multiple reasons.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeremy_M

I posted a bunch here last night, not sure why they aren't showing up?  I tried!

Jeff

You only put them in your gallery, you have to put the code for each picture you want in the post, in the post. You can find that under each individual photo in the gallery in the photo information area.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeremy_M

Jeremy_M

A few more, plus I loaded and titled a bunch in my gallery

Paul_H

Good pics,a few 009 Madills too. :)

The one has a yellow tank and house but a red A frame and guyline winches.It looks like the cut the front end of one machine and welded it to another.We had severe damage to one of our 009's too back in 87.I was on another side but a huge boulder was knocked loose by a turn and came down across the hill toward the Barko,hit a stump at the last moment and came at the yarder.Vic,the donkey puncher didn't have time to even get out of his seat before it came off the bank and smashed into the winch house opposite the cab and the 4 guyline drums(back quarters and squares).
It also broke of a large chunk of the flange on the mainline drum.

That machine was out of commision for over a year and a welder straightened it out and we yarded with it again until 2001.It's one of the scrapped machines I was lamenting.The winch is in Ontario now but the rest of the machine is sitting less that a ½ mile from here.I was loading some short logs there the past couple days.Tomorrow I'll take the camera.

They were a good old yarder.

beenthere

Enjoyed looking over the pics. Thanks for posting them here.  8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Nice pictures Jeremy.I really enjoy them.Lots of equipment I will never get to see without pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

Jeremy, thank-you for taking the time to post the pics here.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

treetech

Thanks for taking the time to do this Jeremy. If only "old iron" could talk !! :D

Paul_H

Jeremy,

I brought the camera today when we went to pick up our old loader from the pole yard and took a couple pics of that old yarder I mentioned.

These first pics were from Aug 1984 and it was still in good shape.It was originally owned by Mac and Blo at their Squamish Division and the screen in front of the tank controls where we're having lunch was to protect the operator from rocks when they would pull the yarders up steep pitches with the off hwy logging trucks.I'm sitting on the left looking into my lunch bucket in the pic below.

After 1988 when the yarder was straightened out after the rock damage,the Red paint that Lloyd used to paint the yarder slowly faded to a pinkish colour.Other outfits tried to razz us a bit about the pink yarder but it pulled like any other colour so what the hey?  :D

This is all that is left of it.The pics don't do the pink justice.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

wi woodcutter

Paul keep the stories and pics coming! They are great.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

madhatte

Centralia kid here.  I know where all of those are!  Wish I'd thought to take pictures of all the abused gear I've seen over the years.  Keep up the good work!

Jeremy_M

There sure are lots of them up there, unfortunate to see.  At least Ramsey is trying to find a way to reuse them for the sand and gravel industry instead of just scrapping them out.  I want to try and make it up there again and get some pictures when there isn't a blizzard going on and chat some more.   I will post some more pictures tomorrow.

Great pictures and stories Paul!

stumphugger

We had the yarder in the Cowlitz River Tourist Attraction in 1987 ( I think that year?)  The bridge said Load Limit 15 tons, the yarder weighed more and down into the river it went, with the bridge.  It was a self propelled Washington something--big, and the yarder engineer went down with it, then popped up OK.  Neither of the pilot pickup drivers could swim and they said it was a happy sight to see him pop up out of the river.  The company had to hire divers to cut it up, and do an oil spill clean up.  Shortly after that, they laid off their logging crews and then sold the mill and land.  On another web site, I found out that the yarder was put back together and logged a few more years on the Olympic Peninsula. 

It was a tourist attraction for a few days.  The bridge was not replaced.  And, had they made it over that bridge there was a weaker bridge to go over on that route. 

chucker

hey was that the kelso bridge ?
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Jeremy_M

Great story!  What company was that that dropped the yarder in the river?  Don't suppose there were any pictures?

Thank You Sponsors!