iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

where are the ticks

Started by David-L, September 22, 2014, 07:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curdog

Our ticks have been low this year as well. I think I've just found a handful on me.  I think it relates to our poor mast crop for the last 2-3 years. The low mast crop cuts down on the rodent population and in turn limits the ticks. I normally have mice try to get in the house but haven't had any lately.  But we have a bumper acorn crop this year so I'd say our ticks should come back around as well as the mice.

Sixacresand

Maybe mankind has polluted something to make ticks extinct.  Now lets work on mosquitos, yellow flies, fleas and red bugs.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

David-L

I have been talking to a few friends who farm and log and they are just starting to get a few ticks on them recently. Maybe they are adding something to jet fuel( exhaust) and we don't know it and the ticks , and mosquitoes are taking a hit. I am sure its just some cyclicle thing that all bugs go through?

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Ron Scott

~Ron

WmFritz

Quote from: Ron Scott on November 06, 2014, 10:52:54 AM
RE:  AND THE LIST GROWS . .

That does it... I'm never leaving the house. 

smiley_turkey_hide

Ron, can you find one that can make me allergic to Jelly Donuts.   ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

davidlarson

I've found one tick on each of my dogs in the last few days, and several last January.  We've already had a snowstorm and several hard frosts.   Apparently they are active year round in these parts, and do not migrate south in the winter (yet).
DavidLarson

David-L

The ticks are back, have been picking off me daily on this cordwood lot. I swear I am itchy from these little buggers. Hopefully the next lot which is consumed with mountain laurel won't be so bad. I love Mt Laurel lots. Trip, stumble and thrash.

David l

cutterboy

David, I have not seen one tick all year and I'm very happy about that. Now you say you are seeing them again and that makes me very unhappy seeing that I'm only a few miles from you.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

David-L

They arrived on this woodlot 3 weeks or so ago. It is up against the Quabbin and is oaky with alot off leaf matter. Tick heaven. Werent' there throughout the summer though.

David l

ehp

Got my first tick yesterday and am taking stuff for lyme disease tomorrow

coxy

well most of the ticks got stuck to me this fall I had double lyme a few months back been feeling ok so far after tacking the pills       stay OUT OF ANY SUN taking the pills it will mess you up burnt and blistered my hands even with gloves on   lyme is no joke there are thing that are still not right  but have to keep going     stay safe every one

Southside

Quote from: Ron Scott on November 06, 2014, 10:52:54 AM
RE:  AND THE LIST GROWS . . .

Lone star ticks can inject a sugar that can lead to a red meat allergy.  According to the Detroit Free Press, cases have been found in Michigan.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20140813/tick-bites-red-meat-allergy

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/tick-will-make-lose-appetite-red-meat/

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/DFREEP/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=REZQLzIwMTQvMTEvMDI.&pageno=NDQ.&entity=QXIwNDQwMw..&view=ZW50aXR5

Lone Star tick bites hurt like all get out, and they leave a big, itchy, red, welt.  Got Lymes from them this past spring, but the doctors will tell you they don't carry lymes.  After not seeing any for quite a while over the past two weeks I have seen a couple and actually plucked one off a hen's comb this evening, it was swelled up pretty good, was not there the night before as I have to collect this same hen out out of the boxwood each and every night and put her in the chicken house. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!