iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

028 Stihl chain sprocket

Started by dave7191, May 06, 2010, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave7191

I know this has been answered before but search didn't bring anything up
  >:(  What does everyone use to block the engine from turning over and is the sprocket right or left threads
thanks
Dave

joe_indi

Piston stoppers which you insert after removing the spark plug are available.
A home made piston stopper can be made by heating an old tooth brush handle and bending it on itself.
But the most common stopper is a bit of rope which is fed into the cylinder through the spark plug hole.
But you need to have the piston in its upward movement past the exhaust port before you insert the rope or you risk getting the rope caught in one of the ports.
It would be very embarrassing carrying a saw to a service shop with a jammed rope. ::) ::)

Lets take it from your second question.The clutch loosens clockwise.
Remove the spark plug and insert a screw driver through the plug hole till you hit the cylinder on the exhaust side.
Rotate the clutch clockwise so that the screw driver goes into the exhaust port.Keep rotating the clutch till the piston hits the screw driver on its upward travel.
Now ease the screwdriver out of the exhaust port so that the tip now rests just above the port.
Move the clutch clockwise a few degrees so that the piston covers the exhaust port.
Verify the port is covered with the screw driver.
Now, remove the screwdriver and insert the rope.
I have found 3.5mm starter rope folded once to be ideal.
Insert the bent end not the end with the two loose ends.
4 - 5 inches is enough. Now rotate the clutch till it stops against the inserted rope.
The piston is now stopped for removal.
The pressure exerted on the rope during the removal keeps it in place till you have to fit the clutch back.
Just rotate the clutch anti clockwise till it stops against the rope.
Then tighten it down. Thats it.

routestep

I have a Stihl MS250. Had it for seven years, only changed the pull chord once. Yesterday while cutting some branches the chain came to a stopped. Engine works fine and there doesn't appear to be anything holding up the chain in the bar. I took the bar off and ran the engine. Sprocket wasn't spinning. Tried spinning the sprocket and couldn't with my hand, could with a wrench on it.

So I might need a clutch or related parts? Any thoughts on that?

Are there any special tools to replace a clutch on a small Stihl?

Sawz all

Quote from: dave7191 on May 06, 2010, 05:41:21 PM
I know this has been answered before but search didn't bring anything up
  >:(  What does everyone use to block the engine from turning over and is the sprocket right or left threads
thanks
Dave

Different strokes for different folks when it comes to this. Me, I use an impact (a couple of quick bursts). The clutch is a left hand thread so pretend you are tightening it up to loosen it and pretend you are loosening it to tighten it.

Kevin
Some come to laugh the past away, some come to make it just one more day.."J.G"

Al_Smith

On that 250 it could be number of things .Could have tossed a clutch spring,broken a shoe,set the brake .

Some of those smaller consumer Stihl saws used a type of spanner wrench to remove the clutch . Most of the professional grades you use a deep well six point socket .I've never seen even  less worked on a 250 so that's about as much as I can add,really not much .

lumberjack48

Saw's used to come with a piston stopper,  i always used a impact wrench, when you use a impact pull the starter rope out about 4"s, just a little safety tip.

The 250 has me stumped, if its a spring or a broken shoe the chain will turn all the time.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Well something could have rattled around and got lodged in the drum I suppose .You never know what little treasure could be found in the things .

Thank You Sponsors!