iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 075

Started by timberfaller390, January 07, 2011, 11:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Lokking for thoughts on this saw. I am in the market for a bigger saw for the rare occasion I need more bar length. I am looking to run a 36"-42" bar. I would love to buy a new 660 but my current funds only allow for a saw that's at least as old as I am  :D
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Al_Smith

The 075 or 076 has plenty of power but the problem is finding one in good enough condition to use without throwing a kings ransom in it to make it operational .

red

I think it is a close twin to the 051

and there are plenty of 051's around 
I think they kept making it in Brazil for Cement Saws

Marty at WMPA
now  known  as  Parsons Outdoor Power Equipment
has a young man working for him that worked for Stihl for 30 years
his name is Rodger   he is my Stihl Expert   

I found a Stihl Power Washer at a Garage Sale for $10
110 V plugged it in ... it made a few ugly noises  ... and started spraying

talked to Rodger about it  he knew how many years they produced it
.... I think 10 years .... and when it stopped 

051  075  real good saws 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

timberfaller390

So what is a good ballpark value for one of these saws in good running order.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

So nobody knows what an 075 that runs is worth?
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Al_Smith

Recently a guy at work had an 076,not 075 . Another fellow workman bought it for 400 and it with a 36" bar and in fine running condition .

In reality the price is between the buyer and seller .You can't set a price over the net,too many variables region to region .

Like a Mac 125, Lawdy people go bonkers over them .Yet I've heard of the things being bought up for 50-60 bucks in Northern California .The list of desirable saws or prices there of could go on for pages .

ErikC

A recent craigslist ad I saw put up a 1988 076, in good running condition with 36" bar and chain, for $350. No idea about what's your neck of the woods.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Al_Smith

Graigslist is probabley a better option than flea bay .On the later firstly you are dealing with the entire world and just like a live auction there could be "shills" or bid raisers .With the list you are only dealing with the seller face to face .No paypal fees ,no shipping ,no camal dung .Besides and most importantly you get to see the item up close and personal not some misrepresentation over the internet .

clww

There's a guy advertising an 076 on the Hampton Roads Craigslist from Suffolk, VA right now. Full wrap, 28" bar, runs well, etc. He's asking $600 OBO for the Stihl.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Saw Dr.

It is worth noting that the 051/075/076 saws all take the Stihl 3002 mount bar.  This is different than most of the other saws in the Stihl lineup.  If you have any ideas about swapping bars, it will not happen between 3003 and 3002 mount. 

I have heard of folks using a cylinder from a TS-760 cutoff saw to upgrade their 051 to an 076.  I have not done the conversion myself, but you might look into that.

There are plenty of non-Stihl saws that can pull a 36" bar.  The question is what you are willing to sacrifice to get it.  Most of the older ones have no chainbrake, and plenty have no A/V.  I can think of several yellow ones that will pull a 36" just fine, but parts may be hard or impossible to find.  Husky 1100/2100 would be a good choice if you can find a decent one.  Sadly, you are in the same hunting grounds as I am, and I do not let many deals on big saws go by.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

sawguy21

I would not suggest more than 150 bucks for an 075 then only if it is in real good condition. That is a 70's saw and parts are scarce. Lots of torque for the long bars but is a heavy tank with it's share of issues. Oil pumps and decompression valves were a royal pita and vibration would tear the fuel tank mounting ears off. Intake air leaks were a frequent issue.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

They are like any old vintage high torque saw .Do you want it  use or just as a torque monster to impress your buddies ? Trust me you won't use it much .I mean I of all people should know with a shed full of big old high cube vintage saws including a 2100 Huskey ,several 125 Macs not to mention an 084 Stihl plus several others .

Thank You Sponsors!