iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dummys on youtube

Started by QuintonAlame, January 26, 2011, 02:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuintonAlame

I noticed a lot of people on you tube using 32inch saw to cut down a five foot tall three with three inch diameter trunk then they call them selves pro loggers is it just me or what

Tom

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

If it was up to me, Everyone would have a 32 inch tree. ;D

beenthere

Are there rules to using a saw on a tree?

Quinton...do you have 'em?   :)

Reminds me when my boys were about 4 and 5 yrs old. I had planted several hundered red and white pines one spring. About mid summer I looked around for what the boys were up to, and saw them pulling and pushing their red wagon.  It was topped off with something green.  ::) ::)
As I got closer, they explained very proudly that they were logging (and thus explained the red wagon full of the planted red and white pine ).    ;D ;D

Was it just me, or what?  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I'm wondering how a search result would reveal so many large chainsaws cutting saplings in youtube? Is this one of those big stick threads again? ;)

I once did a search for clearing saws, and one of the fellows was cutting like a maniac in a thicket that looked like it had a lot of blow down. I can tell ya though, that pace wouldn't hold up long and it would likely get his butt tossed off the job right quick. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ErikC

Why bend over when you can hold the saw waist high nip it off at ground level ??? Who know exactly but there's all kinds of things people do in the woods that seem weird to me. Like falling a bunch of 40" trees with a 20" bar. ::)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

JHBC

Well no, it doesn't make a lot of sense.  I bet its not a long term thing they're doing though.  Like ErikC said, that way doesn't work for me either, but some recent threads had a lot of support for that kind of falling.

A friend of mine has an Christmas tree farm, he's a pretty big guy and doesn't want to lean over, so a 36" is what he uses on 3-4".

As for youtube, I'm kinda new so I didn't know if it was ok to recommend clips there or not.

MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

Jeff

Yup, you can post clips, just make sure they are screened first for inappropriate content or language, other than that, they are fine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Well what you have to understand is the setting. A 24 inch bar would be more than ample to cut 95% of the wood around here because people hate like the devil for a tree to get any size.  So, only once in a while you get onto a lot that has some scattered 40 inch hardwood and softwood to cut. Some fellas won't even cut them because  those old cows are most often than not like a culvert inside unless it's a big old pine. If it's a big old 30 odd inch aspen, you better know what's going on over head with them huge up swept limbs that can be widow makers when she starts to tip.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JHBC

Hi Jeff, got it.  I don't have any video, or youtube stuff of my own.  I've viewed a lot of bad examples of falling/chainsaw use, but Ive seen a few that were excellent too.  Mostly North Island fallers doing work in very steep mixed age stands, it sort of explains the reason for using the larger saws and bars, even on smallish dia trees.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

Thank You Sponsors!