iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MY 026 WONT REV.........

Started by STIHLFULLSKIP, January 29, 2011, 08:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STIHLFULLSKIP

so my b.i.l. picked up a like new 026 for me,slightly scored p/c. the saw is like new so he put a new p/c on it for me,i went through the carb,and everything seems to be in good order. the saw starts and runs good,but i can't get more than 12,600 rpm's out of it. it is not not real snappy like it should be,and seems to go rich or lean w/very little carb adjustment. i trust his work,as he is an exc. wrench,but this saw is driving me nuts. we did not check the crank seals,but the fuel/impulse lines seem to be in exc. cond. it sucks having a 20yr. old saw this nice that runs like crap!

sawguy21

Check the spark arrestor screen in the muffler, it could be plugged. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

STIHLFULLSKIP

screen is not in there at all.....

Sawz all

Check the intake boot. Was the carb rebuilt correctly I.E. things in the right order....?
Crank seals? Suck squeeze bang blow, that's all there is to it.

Kevin
Some come to laugh the past away, some come to make it just one more day.."J.G"

Al_Smith

It could likely be something as simple as a carb with stiff innards .

BTW the factory specs on that thing is 13,000 RPM .

STIHLFULLSKIP

looking @ the service manual,it says 13,500  -/+ 200

Ed

IME, replace the carb, swap one with a good running 026 if you can as a test.
It doesn't take much slop in the throttle shaft to really screw up an 026.

Ed

Al_Smith

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on January 29, 2011, 10:15:57 PM
looking @ the service manual,it says 13,500  -/+ 200
Depends on which publication you read it from .Mine came from a set of micro fitche . It really doesn't make that big of a deal anyway .However if it doesn't run right no matter what the R's it needs some attention .

sablatnic

Check the choker return spring in the air filter, it could be slack. You could try the saw without the filter. That spring is a known bad guy.

STIHLFULLSKIP

Saw Dr.

If you still struggle with it, I would check FW side crank seal.  I have seen several out.  Sadly, that is one of the more challenging ones to swap out.

Did you ever determine what killed the original top end?
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

STIHLFULLSKIP

well here is they deal,seal on the mag side is bad,not sure if the carb is right either. she was well on her way to eating another p/c. i have all the parts,case is split on the bench,this saw will be new when done. all new seals,hoses,bearings,and carb,the case is like new. since i have 2 new 026's coming i will probably sell this one when its back together. it will make someone a very nice saw,there is nothing i like better than making something old like new again.

Al_Smith

It must be a giant leak then .Usually with a partly blown seal the saw just revs like a maniac but of course has no power in the cut .

Now I have an 038 Mag that I've baby  sat for nearly ten years keeping it running for a trimmer that pukes seals .When it does it blows the center right out of them and it will  not get to much over half speed after  that happens .However both the owner and myself knew something was amiss and the saw was taken out of service until it was repaired so no damage was done to the P and C .

That saw now belongs to me and is destined to be a cookie cutter .If that doesn't finish it off nothing will . :D

joe_indi

The specs that I am looking at says 14000 rpm.
And, if I remember correctly this is one the few stock saws that had 14000 rpm at the time it was introduced.

Check that plastic fuel hose connector on the carb (the white one).If it moves up and down, it is loose and drawing air instead of fuel.

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!