iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone one have an idea what this wood is

Started by Jerryok1971, February 11, 2018, 09:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerryok1971

Hello all. Can anyone I'd this wood. A friend trimmed a tree limb and gave it to me for firewood. When I split it it has a red streak in the center on some pieces. It's not to heavy. The tree it came from had about a 7ft trunk then branched out. Thanks Jerry

51cub

Following. I've seen it before but can't remember to save myself what anybody decided it was
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Hewer of Wood

1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

PA_Walnut

I'm in the box elder camp too. That red will dissipate after the air hits it for a while.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Jerryok1971

Thanks guys. Someone had told him box elder bought I thought I'd ask. Do You guys know how it burns? Thanks Jerry

GAB

Quote from: Jerryok1971 on February 11, 2018, 12:20:17 PM
Thanks guys. Someone had told him box elder bought I thought I'd ask. Do You guys know how it burns? Thanks Jerry

I agree with Box Elder.
It burns like Bass Wood, Poplar, and Pine i.e. doesn't last long.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

DPatton

Where i'm from I rarely ever see any boxelder trees left. They used to be reasonably common when I was a kid but not very prevalent anymore. Anyone know why they seem to be disappearing ? At least in my area?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

low_48

Way better off selling it to woodturners instead of making it firewood. Woodturners can't resist that bright red, even when most of them know it will fade with age. I personally hate the smell!

FLPINERAT

What low_48 says...they make Purdy Turkey calls, but I'm not sure I'd like to use it on Public land!

(ANYTHING red is a no-no)

Made this un with an anodized aluminum surface

Buckshot00

Brad_bb

Box elder.  Verify by looking at last years branch growth and the bark should be green, not brown.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Buckshot00

Thank You Sponsors!