iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about anular rings

Started by L Murphy, March 15, 2018, 05:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L Murphy

Can anyone offer any insight into why the growth rings on the middle piece appear to be "wavy"? One side of the board shows the pattern more the opposite. It almost resembles "fleck" on QSWO. It seems that they could be related to the tree's location rather than a particular event. As far as I know, it's Douglas Fir. 

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

That is quite neat.  Calling @WDH for help.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

The cambium, for some reason, got crazy.  It got all confused and out of sorts.  Could be from injury or stress. Just like in people, and I know one goat that is kinda crazy and wavy, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ljohnsaw

That would be really cool to cut into end grain checkerboard for a chess/checker set with a contrasting wood (walnut).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Wood does some interesting things.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bluthum

A few years back I built all kinds of house components from some reclaimed O.G. doug fir and noticed 

this fairly often. I sure can't tell you what causes it.   

sandhills

Welcome to the forum L Murphy, judging by the looks of things in your pictures you'll love it here.  Sorry I can't help with your question but WDH has spoken  :).

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!