iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Rings or not

Started by JD_Kid, December 31, 2005, 02:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya Guys
heres one for ya's  i have a 1988 120si dolmar  thats just getting a bit hard to start  (ok if  hot but if cold ya have to toss some fuel  in air clearer  )  and also  a tad light to pull over  now heres the question   all the rest is still ok  would ya  stick a set of rings in  and use it as a hack around saw   or  trade it in  and buy another one about the same size (have a PS 9010 so don't realy need  a bigger mid sized saw , or keep it  spin the air filter off and  tip some gas in  and  buy another one anyway .. keep in mind parts for this model are hard to get i tryed last year to get the side plate that holds the  chain brake etc etc  and they don't stock them ..
any ideas ?? 
catch ya
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Kevin

Sounds like it's time for new saw.
I would do a compression test on it before passing judgement.
It might make for a nice project but if parts are getting difficult to find then it might not be worth the bother.

jokers

As cheap as rings are, I`d re-ring it and keep it as a good backup, as a minimum.

Some of the older, more established Dolmar dealers may have the parts you need and I know that parts support at the corporate level is substantially improved.

If you buy another saw, have a look at the Dolmar 5100 before you lay your money down.

Russ

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
yea i'm thinking of just poping a new set of rings in it  as a back up saw ,kinda like an old dog  had it  all my working life (almost)  ..

yea Jokers  i looked at a PS 5100  and in some way would head that way  due to the fact i have a job thining to waste in pines coming up  and a 9010 is a tad big for that job    my little 109 is ok for small jobs  but kinda need something inbetween   i can't find the KW /Hp in my book for  my 120si but i think the  5100 is not  miles  below  it  even the ps6400 i think is higher rated than the 68cc 120si   ..

Kevin yea there could be parts hideing in some dealers back room  or even an old junker that some covers etc etc could be  ripped off  i think the main running gear is still in stock  or crosses over in to newer models   i'll have to ask around ,i know some saws piston and rings  are getting close to 1/3 of the price of a new saw  so guys are just  tradeing up

catch ya
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Thank You Sponsors!