iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Rings

Started by Grrr413, February 07, 2013, 11:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grrr413

This might sound odd, but I have a question concenring color of tree rings. Just recently several of my trees were cut down. I decided to count the rings to determine their ages. While looking at them I noticed something peculiar about them. For last several years the rings have gotten thicker and much darker in color. I have been trying to figure out what this could mean and have been looking everywhere. All that i have found is that one ring is where early wood starts and late wood ends. The species are white pine and and blue spruce if that helps. The trees were around 42 years old and for the first 35 years or so the color of the wood is realtively light in color but for the next 7 years the wood is much darker. Even the early wood of the last 7 years is much darker then the late wood of the first 35. If someone knows what this means I am really intrested in learning what.

WDH

All I can think of is that this wood is fully mature wood with a higher resin content than the previous wood, and the higher resin content is making the rings darker.  A picture would be nice.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Grrr413,welcome to the forum. Where abouts are ya? Having your place logged? WDH knows wood.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

celliott

Were the trees damaged in any way? I'm thinking maybe an insect attack a few years ago caused the tree to put out more resin to protect itself and now it's showing?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

RynSmith

When you say they've gotten thicker that makes me think the trees were released - what happened 7 years ago, was the stand thinned?  That wouldn't affect the color though as far as I know...

Grrr413

none of the trees were thined, but there was a mjaor road built just on the other side and they put up a large hill and I did notice that there was more water pooling then before. Could this have caused the color change?

thecfarm

Was the trees opened up to more light,sunlight?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Grrr413

Thanks everyone I actually think it could have been because of more sunlight because a earby tree had been under attack by insects and had lost its needles I believe this could be the culprit and the fact it released more resin.

Thank You Sponsors!