iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wish they all had rings like these!

Started by Lawg Dawg, March 05, 2015, 04:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Harvested from our private farm land..
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

hunz

That tree was definitely a slow grower in its early years. That's gonna make some rightly hard lumber!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I thought that looked like S.C. Pine.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

Is that long leaf? Don't see any loblolly like that around here. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

drobertson

very similar to our Missouri pine, it is nice to see tight rings, here is a few pics of some Ozark pine

They make some great lumber for sure, care must still be taken in stresses to ensure straightness.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Southside logger on March 05, 2015, 08:06:49 PM

Looks like Loblolly to me.  :) If its not, this will be the first time I've been wrong.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Lawg Dawg

Loblolly, or standard shortleaf pine.  Definitely not long leaf.  These logs came out of a mixed stand of pine and hardwoods. I went back and counted 68 rings on this log, and it's probably 15" or 17" across the stump.  Not a very big tree either.
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

Since it was so slow growing, I figured Shortleaf.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 05, 2015, 08:37:16 PM

Looks like Loblolly to me.  :) If its not, this will be the first time I've been wrong.  :D
I thought I was wrong once, but I was just mistaken. ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drobertson

Some real nice ring growth on these, notice the darker color on the outer,  half frozen logs at its finest, but nice tight rings, 

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: drobertson on March 08, 2015, 06:25:49 PM
Some real nice ring growth on these, notice the darker color on the outer,  half frozen logs at its finest, but nice tight rings, 

That's what I want when I look for logs!  But most of the time I settle for whatever I can get! 
Rings like that make the BEST lumber, hands down.

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

drobertson

Pretty fine lumber for certain, but a pain to saw without them going haywire! ;D  plenty more for now, just need some more DST ;D and a good back!

dboyt

Nice looking logs, for sure... but does anyone pay a premium for the lumber?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

drobertson

Premium might be a relative term in regards to pine around here, there are a few factors that raise the price, such as width and  character or lack of it, it surely does not bring prices like many of the finer hardwoods,

Southside

Around here the one pine mill that stick scales will deduct for wide growth rings, but not pay a premium for tight rings like that.  What I find ironic is that the trend to faster growing, "improved" plantation pine is all the rage around here now, so what does that mean for the future?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave H.

WDH

If I quartersaw the really tight grained logs, I can sell the lumber for more for table tops.  Farm tables are all the rage now.  Solid wood top, natural or stained, with a white painted aprons and legs.  I plane out the lumber at a full 1" thick after kiln drying to 8%.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!