iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Securing post to sill

Started by bic, June 22, 2016, 01:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bic

I know this is may seem like a silly question, but here goes, should the posts be fastened in any way to the sill, eg. Lagged or log screwed, or is it fine with just the mortise and stub tendon
Thanks ahead bid
LT 28 Woodmizer
where there's a mill there's a way

Jim_Rogers

Depends on the frame location and use. If it's an open pavilion then the posts will need to be secured to something so that it doesn't act like a giant sail and fly away.

If it's just a cabin or shed then the siding will attach to the post as well as the sill so that should hold it down alright.

What is the intended use of your frame?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ljohnsaw

In my case, the engineer said I had to use Simpson ties (STHD10RJ)

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fishfighter

When I added the back porch, I made theses.

They lag bolted down to the sill. That gives the post about a 1/4" air gap for drying of the post that rest on the heads of the lag bolts. The bracket is lag bolted from the sides into the sides of the post.

Started doing the front porch today. When it comes time for the post, I will make the same brackets, but I will make them to where I will make a cut 1" from the outside edges that the bracket will slide into the bottom of the post. That will hide the bracket all together, but still be able to lag bolt the post to the brackets.

Live and learn. ;D

bic

Hi Jim, it's a cabin in the bush, there will be log infil, starting next week, so I guess I'm safe, just wanted to be sure.
Thanks for the replys folks
Bic
Ps nice job on the brackets fishfighter
LT 28 Woodmizer
where there's a mill there's a way

fishfighter

$6 for metal, 20 minutes to weld them and paint. Other brackets that sell on line, they wanted over $60 apiece. :o 

Thank You Sponsors!