iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What fuel is everyone using

Started by Whiplash1, March 04, 2019, 07:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inaotherlife

Quote from: Air Lad on March 06, 2019, 05:24:23 AM
With so many different ideas and formula's it is hard to lock in on a favourite brew that will be 1. accesible 2. suit all machines 3. affordable 4. not be detrimental to engine life ( as a hobby/collector this one is important.. cause we love these little machines)
Please somebody come up with the perfect formula
Currently using 91 oct /unled /semi synth/40:1/and a fuel stabiliser
fishin-smiley
The better oils already have stabilizers built in.

I use a little under a gallon for 2.6 ounces of oil. So high 40's to 1.
Don't want a bunch of oil goopin up the muffler.

Air Lad

Quote from: Inaotherlife on March 06, 2019, 11:15:53 PM
Quote from: Air Lad on March 06, 2019, 05:24:23 AM
With so many different ideas and formula's it is hard to lock in on a favourite brew that will be 1. accesible 2. suit all machines 3. affordable 4. not be detrimental to engine life ( as a hobby/collector this one is important.. cause we love these little machines)
Please somebody come up with the perfect formula
Currently using 91 oct /unled /semi synth/40:1/and a fuel stabiliser
fishin-smiley
The better oils already have stabilizers built in.

I use a little under a gallon for 2.6 ounces of oil. So high 40's to 1.
Don't want a bunch of oil goopin up the muffler.
The semi synth is an Aussie oil and no mention of fuel additives on label
The fuel additive ( and oil for that matter ) was recommended to me for my work ute by a mate that has been a cattle man working in the outback most of his life. His current Toyota landcruiser ute has over a mil km's working outback country without a rebuild.
This product does 3 types of additive
Oil/Diesel fuel and petrol fuel.
My auto mechanic that looks after my work ute has given the product the thumbs up
mine has 425000 km's without engine problems
 I trust these men
Therefore the small engines get a bit of the good stuff
Having said all that I am keen to try Stihl premium orange mineral
Holmen has given it the thumbs up and that is good enough for me
Cheers mate

MichaelS70

Echo Red Armor I been using .27 bucks a gallon last year so not cheap.This will be my 3rd year running it so time will tell.

Mad Professor

EAB killed standing dead White Ash.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Air Lad on March 07, 2019, 04:45:30 AMHaving said all that I am keen to try Stihl premium orange mineral
Holmen has given it the thumbs up and that is good enough for me
Cheers mate
Air Lad, yes I believe Australia gets the same Stihl Premium Castrol blend as we do in Canada. You should have the same back label on the bottle with the Castrol trademark logo, minus the French bilingual stuff.

I've told this story a hundred times before but I'll tell it again for the ones who haven't heard it.:laugh:
1986 a Stihl factory engineer from Germany Yurgen Wolfe who years before was one of the engineers involved in the 038 1119 series development,  told me the strongest  fuel mix oil in their tests was Shell series 3 diesel engine oil.  But he added the gas they were using was leaded gas and the lead is a type of lubricant also.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Mad Professor

Specrtro golden 40-1 or 50-1 w/100LL av gas, stores at least 2 years. If I run lots on a mill then 93 octane non-corn

charles mann

I usually run 100LL in all my gas engines, but the other day, i got 5 gal of supposed ethanol free low octane for my welder. I could def tell a difference in the exhaust smell that it wasnt av gas and it seemed to not like it as well as the av gas. Luckily it was only 5 gal and i should have that burned out by the end of the week. Will be going back to av gas. As for 2 stoke equip, i try to keep av gas in the tanks and some pre mixed, but have had to buy station gas when on the road and used more fuel than i thought i would. But as soon as i get hm, i swing by the airport and pick up some more 100LL, dump the pump gas out and refill and run for a min or so to ensure the nasty gas is no more. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

trooperTdiesel

e0 87 for carbed 4 strokes
e0 92 for 2 strokes
for a year round avrege it runs about 0.40c a gal over name brand e10 fuel.

i can also get 110L fuel its not AV fuel, its the nascar blend 
from the days before they ran the e15 stuff...also with full lead, not low lead.
sold out of a hose for a mere $8.00 a gal. in a sealed contaner the price shoots up REAL bad, like near 2X..
smells like gas used to. not to far off from paint thinner. LOL

oregon where i live, has a ban on e0-87 and e0-89 octane being sold for "on-road use", clear back to 2007
only e0-92 is legal to be sold for on road use.
e0 87 and 89 in OR are treated in the same way as red deisel but no die is added and you still pay the .30c a gal road tax. sence theres litttle demand theres not many places to get it. 
they cant put it at a public pump it has to be cept behind a lock and key and-or fence and made shur of that its not being despenced in a on-road use manner. its like trying to buy a black market fuel..
the few places selling e0-92 are at 4.50 or so in OR, versus $3.80/3.60 price in WA for the same thing. 
many Garrett 15s
have a 128 5'x10'x30' MD mill.
as well as worked at Mobile MFG CO in troutdale, OR for the last 1.5 years before doors closed.
you say David Wallace to Ron H, he will know me....lol
2 JD 440 loaders, B7100 tractor, 3 350 J\D dozers 
and many fords and isuzus

SwampDonkey

The way ethanol is rolled out up here is my volume produced. Pumps say 'may contain up to 10% ethanol". In the US it's labelled 'contains 10%'. This not the same. You can get gas that may not have any or up to 10 %. Some stations under the name Ultramar never has ethanol in it. That being said, when thinning for 6-7 months a year we run through a lot of gas in a day/week. Varies with the cutting. We never worry about ethanol. I have saws 6 to 15 years old, they all cut fine and no leaking gas lines. Never even busted a primer button, ever. I own only one tool that even mentions ethanol use, and that says 'no more than 10%' on the gas tank. That is a snow blower. Been working just fine for years. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Of no interest in this day and age but in looking at 40 year old McCulloch go kart racing engines it was recommended "white gas " and 20 to  1 ratio .For those who don't know this was in the days of leaded gasoline .White gas was Coleman lantern fuel no lead at all ,it plugged the jets .
They cranked the compression up on those race engines much higher than even modified chainsaw engines in this day and age . Tetraethyl lead is an anti knock additive but evidently it wasn't worried about even on  racing engines . 100 octane rating  aviation gasoline has been around for decades and it wasn't even mentioned . So while it's mandatory on an aircraft I  suppose  it could be optional on a chainsaw . Although it's rather doubtful anybody would be operating same at 14,000 feet elevation . :)

Thank You Sponsors!